Best careers for autistic people?

Hi!

I am looking to change career. I'm currently working as a teacher and have realised this career choice is overwhelming for me socially. I'm looking at careers I can succeed in with my autistic tendencies, any advice?

Thanks!

Douglas

Parents
  • What would work for me isn't a job where I'm expected to show up in an office or anywhere Monday to Friday 9 to 17. This is just not for me. My mental energy isn't that stable to guarantee that I could always be ready to work in a certain schedule, maybe I can get better at managing my mental energy and therefore can rely on it to be there for me consistently in certain hours in certain days but for now it just doesn't.

Also I know that I need a job that gives me breaks from social interactions, again the office example is just not going to work because I'll have to be around people much more than I want and eventually burn me out. I could do 3 days or better 2 of professional conversations ler week and that's it. The rest, I need to be independently working.

Again about my brain, I work max 7 hours per day. I mean 7 hours of being productive and efficient, and 7 is my best performance that I can't reach daily. People work for 8 daily, but most of them slack the half of it. The ideal world for me would be 4 days work per week and 7 hours work per day. I choose which days I work in and I choose which day I'm off. Sometimes I have the mental energy on Sunday and just burn and crash on Monday.

I like art, design, creating music or making food, researching, energy efficiency, recycling..ext. my ideal world would be working in one of these professions as a freelancer because it gives me the possibility to do all what I mentioned above.

I recommend that you rely on your knowledge of yourself and based on it figure out what suits you best 

• I can relate to this so much!! A job with fixed hours where I have to be in an office is just not for me. I do sometimes work much longer than a normal working day but sometimes also much less, depending on what needs to be done and my energy levels. Luckily as a scientist I have flexibility though especially when I am new I feel bad if I am not there at conventional hours or do desk work from home or need to take a longer break during day ... I’m hoping that now that I am doing my PhD I will figure it out and allow myself to work in a way that is best and most efficient for me. I had a really hard time in my previous job where I was working as a research assistant- i felt compelled to be there during normal working hours but then on top of that was also there weekends evenings etc and I didn’t feel like I could claim time back to rest in week if I had had a crazy weekend.

Does anyone else struggle with weekends? I find it very difficult as it is a change in routine and I very much prefer it if each day I just work as much as I can depending on what needs to be done and my energy levels. I find it unsettling to push to fit everything into the week to then collapse at weekend. But I’m not quite there yet where I give myself permission to work in this way where I take each day as the same. 

I also find it impossible to do desk work anywhere other than my room.

But I am lucky. I have found a job I love which is my special interest and which also gives me a lot of flexibility- there are a lot of challenges too (like not burning myself out, coping with stress, lots of new things to try all the time, very long hours at times, unpredictability).

I think it also takes time to find the job and place where you feel good. 

• I can relate to this so much!! A job with fixed hours where I have to be in an office is just not for me. I do sometimes work much longer than a normal working day but sometimes also much less, depending on what needs to be done and my energy levels. Luckily as a scientist I have flexibility though especially when I am new I feel bad if I am not there at conventional hours or do desk work from home or need to take a longer break during day ... I’m hoping that now that I am doing my PhD I will figure it out and allow myself to work in a way that is best and most efficient for me. I had a really hard time in my previous job where I was working as a research assistant- i felt compelled to be there during normal working hours but then on top of that was also there weekends evenings etc and I didn’t feel like I could claim time back to rest in week if I had had a crazy weekend.

Does anyone else struggle with weekends? I find it very difficult as it is a change in routine and I very much prefer it if each day I just work as much as I can depending on what needs to be done and my energy levels. I find it unsettling to push to fit everything into the week to then collapse at weekend. But I’m not quite there yet where I give myself permission to work in this way where I take each day as the same. 

I also find it impossible to do desk work anywhere other than my room.

But I am lucky. I have found a job I love which is my special interest and which also gives me a lot of flexibility- there are a lot of challenges too (like not burning myself out, coping with stress, lots of new things to try all the time, very long hours at times, unpredictability).

I think it also takes time to find the job and place where you feel good. 

Children
No Data