Best careers for autistic people?

Hi!

I am looking to change career. I'm currently working as a teacher and have realised this career choice is overwhelming for me socially. I'm looking at careers I can succeed in with my autistic tendencies, any advice?

Thanks!

Douglas

Parents
  • Hi, I don’t think there is a generalised answer here as it really depends on the person! I also think it is not always the profession alone but also the environment and people you work with that makes a huge difference. I am a scientist and I have been in some labs where I really struggled and ended up very burnt out and physically unwell. But I love science and I have been in labs where I flourished- it depends so much on how much support there is, the people you work with, the place you work in (eg. big lab vs small lab) , the city, how close you live to work, how much i like the project etc. Maybe in the teaching profession it is the same? And it might depend on the school you work in, which subject you teach, your classes etc? I just thought I would mention this - just in case you really wanted to stay in teaching and maybe a change of school would be an option.

I’m not very familiar with the different alternative teaching associated jobs but maybe tutoring? Or giving classes for adults? My mum who we suspect is also autistic used to teach in primary schools and loved it but there were also some aspects that were very stressful (especially associated with not being guaranteed permanent position and lots of unpredictability) so she did an extra qualification and now gives language classes to adults- all online and 1 to 1 or in small groups. 

I think any job has the potential to be autistic friendly but it depends on the environment and support available. And it really helps when you do something you love.

I am sorry that I can’t give more concrete suggestions. 
    I hope you find a job you feel happier in. The one thing I have learnt is that if things don’t feel right , it’s worth to leave and go for a change. I struggle with change but I’ve recently got myself out of a few situations and jobs that weren’t good for me- it took a lot of courage to go for it but I have no regrets and I feel more confident now because I know that if things really don’t work out I can and I will get myself out of that situation. Of course I also work on myself to try snd make things work out. But I strongly believe that if things aren’t good, change is the way to go whether that is changing things within the job or leaving. 

• Hi, I don’t think there is a generalised answer here as it really depends on the person! I also think it is not always the profession alone but also the environment and people you work with that makes a huge difference. I am a scientist and I have been in some labs where I really struggled and ended up very burnt out and physically unwell. But I love science and I have been in labs where I flourished- it depends so much on how much support there is, the people you work with, the place you work in (eg. big lab vs small lab) , the city, how close you live to work, how much i like the project etc. Maybe in the teaching profession it is the same? And it might depend on the school you work in, which subject you teach, your classes etc? I just thought I would mention this - just in case you really wanted to stay in teaching and maybe a change of school would be an option.

I’m not very familiar with the different alternative teaching associated jobs but maybe tutoring? Or giving classes for adults? My mum who we suspect is also autistic used to teach in primary schools and loved it but there were also some aspects that were very stressful (especially associated with not being guaranteed permanent position and lots of unpredictability) so she did an extra qualification and now gives language classes to adults- all online and 1 to 1 or in small groups. 

I think any job has the potential to be autistic friendly but it depends on the environment and support available. And it really helps when you do something you love.

I am sorry that I can’t give more concrete suggestions. 
    I hope you find a job you feel happier in. The one thing I have learnt is that if things don’t feel right , it’s worth to leave and go for a change. I struggle with change but I’ve recently got myself out of a few situations and jobs that weren’t good for me- it took a lot of courage to go for it but I have no regrets and I feel more confident now because I know that if things really don’t work out I can and I will get myself out of that situation. Of course I also work on myself to try snd make things work out. But I strongly believe that if things aren’t good, change is the way to go whether that is changing things within the job or leaving. 

Children
No Data