Having 20 people over today - help!!!

I'll start by saying please excuse the typos as I'm writing this on my phone. 

I got a diagnosis a little while back of ASD at the age of 46 anf I don't cope well with groups of people.

It's my partner's 50th birthday bbq today and we've got 20 people coming. 9 people staying the night and I'm freaking out. I could just about manage 20 people for a couple of hours with the aid of alcohol and a massive shutdown afterwards. I told my oartner thst I was stressed and he really doesn't understand why. 

His mum and sister and nephews are arriving at midday. After 20 mins of talking to his mum I want to poke my own eyes out and start scresming. All of these blooming NTs invading my home.

Still, I've got to suck it up as it's what my partner wants to fo for his 50th and he's all excited. 

I'm ashamed to say that I actually bought a gram of cocaine in order to stay on it for hours on end today as I'm the hostess and doing the food and bbq. 

Out of the 20 people coming there are only 6 people who I feel comfortable with and like. 

My partner has a bbq like this every year and I always freak out and dpend the next dsy getting drunk and a week decompressing and recovering. 

It's not good is it? 

Parents
  • Blimey, I feel for you and I know the feeling.  I could do this and potentially enjoy it at a venue other than my home, but with 9 of them staying the night and no escape from the crowds because it's your turf - Ouch.  No, I wouldn't fancy that one either.  

I am dismayed, however, that your other half doesn't seem to be hearing your distress or appear to have learned from experience of previous events.

Not judging, but you'll know in yourself that booze and coke are not the answer, your other half actually getting it is.

I'm sure you wouldn't begrudge him his birthday bash, but there have to be other ways of compromising and doing this, like another venue where you can turn up for a bit and then go and leave him to his friends and family before it all gets too much for you and hiring someone else to do the food.

• Blimey, I feel for you and I know the feeling.  I could do this and potentially enjoy it at a venue other than my home, but with 9 of them staying the night and no escape from the crowds because it's your turf - Ouch.  No, I wouldn't fancy that one either.  

I am dismayed, however, that your other half doesn't seem to be hearing your distress or appear to have learned from experience of previous events.

Not judging, but you'll know in yourself that booze and coke are not the answer, your other half actually getting it is.

I'm sure you wouldn't begrudge him his birthday bash, but there have to be other ways of compromising and doing this, like another venue where you can turn up for a bit and then go and leave him to his friends and family before it all gets too much for you and hiring someone else to do the food.

Children
No Data