In my 50's finding out I have Autism & ADHD

I am trying to come to terms with this after finding out over a year ago. I'm a high functioning female I'm lucky because my workplace is supporting me with reasonable adjustments ie my workload, but this is making me feel worthless like I'm being carried my colleagues are great & don't feel this...I sometimes wish I didn't know, but then it's answered alot of questions from my childhood & adulthood. I am v close to my family but any mention of this hits silence...iv been assured by friends its maybe because they don't understand or know what to say. I understand this but I feel v isolated. I have joined this group in the hope that others understand...I have alot of traits for both ASD & ADHD.

Parents
  • Hi,

I'm early 50s and diagnosed in January. I'm currently looking at reasonable adjustments with my manager. There are a number of things I already do or had in place which I didn't realise, like needing instructions backed up in writing or a record of conversations.  At the moment we're looking at whether I can have a fixed desk when in the office.  I don't know what else might help - I'm still getting my head round the idea that other people don't have the same background level of stress and environmental issues to navigate!

Familes, similar, I messaged one sister when a wee bit tipsy asking 'why don't you talk to me about this?'. We then had a convo for an hour which was good although I wish I'd been a bit more sober.  Another is on my FB so saw the posts I put up for acceptance week, so hopefully read those but we've not talked about it.  The third one I tried to talk to when i was going through the process but seemed sceptical so i gave up. I've noticed my dad seems to switch the sound off on the TV now when i ring - not sure if that's a coincidence or maybe one of my sisters said something but previously always struggled to understand when I could hear every word of Sky Sports News in the background.

Don't feel bad about work, you'll have talents they don't have and part of working with others for me is about recognising that.

• Hi,

I'm early 50s and diagnosed in January. I'm currently looking at reasonable adjustments with my manager. There are a number of things I already do or had in place which I didn't realise, like needing instructions backed up in writing or a record of conversations.  At the moment we're looking at whether I can have a fixed desk when in the office.  I don't know what else might help - I'm still getting my head round the idea that other people don't have the same background level of stress and environmental issues to navigate!

Familes, similar, I messaged one sister when a wee bit tipsy asking 'why don't you talk to me about this?'. We then had a convo for an hour which was good although I wish I'd been a bit more sober.  Another is on my FB so saw the posts I put up for acceptance week, so hopefully read those but we've not talked about it.  The third one I tried to talk to when i was going through the process but seemed sceptical so i gave up. I've noticed my dad seems to switch the sound off on the TV now when i ring - not sure if that's a coincidence or maybe one of my sisters said something but previously always struggled to understand when I could hear every word of Sky Sports News in the background.

Don't feel bad about work, you'll have talents they don't have and part of working with others for me is about recognising that.

Children
  • I already do or had in place which I didn't realise,

Oh yes.  Boom does the resonance canon in my head.  I'm quite proud of my naive-self pre-autism awareness by just how many "special measures" I had put in place to accommodate my autistic needs.  For me, the things I had done (and continue to do) where highly diagnostic of my underlying reality.