In my 50's finding out I have Autism & ADHD

I am trying to come to terms with this after finding out over a year ago. I'm a high functioning female I'm lucky because my workplace is supporting me with reasonable adjustments ie my workload, but this is making me feel worthless like I'm being carried my colleagues are great & don't feel this...I sometimes wish I didn't know, but then it's answered alot of questions from my childhood & adulthood. I am v close to my family but any mention of this hits silence...iv been assured by friends its maybe because they don't understand or know what to say. I understand this but I feel v isolated. I have joined this group in the hope that others understand...I have alot of traits for both ASD & ADHD.

Parents
  • Hi NAS87006

I remember when one of my younger sisters was diagnosed in her 40s and I just didn't "get it".   I feel a little bit ashamed to say that my only knowledge of autism was that it affected boys and they were like Rainman so after she told me her diagnosis I didn't have anything to say about it (except well if she's autistic then I am and I'm not so case closed!)  Perhaps it's the same with your parents?  Some of us need educating  but you have to be open to being educated.  Sometimes we feel guilty for not realising so we decide to ignore it.   In my case the jokes on me. After chatting with my daughter as she went through her own diagnosis and educating myself to what autism looks like in women and girls looks like that's me too.  So there you go. Case not closed as I thought.  

• Hi NAS87006

I remember when one of my younger sisters was diagnosed in her 40s and I just didn't "get it".   I feel a little bit ashamed to say that my only knowledge of autism was that it affected boys and they were like Rainman so after she told me her diagnosis I didn't have anything to say about it (except well if she's autistic then I am and I'm not so case closed!)  Perhaps it's the same with your parents?  Some of us need educating  but you have to be open to being educated.  Sometimes we feel guilty for not realising so we decide to ignore it.   In my case the jokes on me. After chatting with my daughter as she went through her own diagnosis and educating myself to what autism looks like in women and girls looks like that's me too.  So there you go. Case not closed as I thought.  

Children
No Data