Disclosing Autism.

I don't come across as autistic. 

But I am, and would never change it. 

When dealing with organisations/companies in regards to making a complaint, or in any other capacity, I find that once I have told them I am autistic, I often find that they treat me even worse. 

Sadly there is still so much discrimination out there. 

Sometimes I regret telling them. 

Anyone else ever found this?

Parents
  • In terms of making a complaint, I don't tend to reveal I'm autistic unless it's directly relevant (i.e. my flight was delayed and I had a meltdown because no one gave clear information on why the flight was delayed) because I also "pass" as neurotypical.

I used to be more open, but after some very bad experiences, this is no longer the case. Regardless, no one should be treating you badly because you're autistic, and actually the equality advisory service (EASS) gives letter templates and advice on what to do if a company or service like a supermarket treats you badly and you want to complain.

• In terms of making a complaint, I don't tend to reveal I'm autistic unless it's directly relevant (i.e. my flight was delayed and I had a meltdown because no one gave clear information on why the flight was delayed) because I also "pass" as neurotypical.

I used to be more open, but after some very bad experiences, this is no longer the case. Regardless, no one should be treating you badly because you're autistic, and actually the equality advisory service (EASS) gives letter templates and advice on what to do if a company or service like a supermarket treats you badly and you want to complain.

Children
No Data