Recently been diagnosed with autism

Hi!

I have recently been diagnosed with autism. I'm in my mid-20s. I've found it helpful and frustrating at the same time. Helpful as it explains a lot but frustrating as I've spent so long trying to fit in to situations which were never for me. What practical advice do people have to finding practical support for your autism and balancing life's challenges and needs?

Thanks

Parents
  • Basic advice would include getting lots of downtime to minimise the chance of meltdowns.

Do what you want to do rather than doing things to fit in.

Unmask where possible, as this is an unnecessary stress we out on ourselves. 

Try CBT or counselling for any self esteem, motivational or social/anxiety issues. You never know what might help unless you try it. (This is all we have on offer, and it isn’t tailored to ASD individuals BUT a good therapist might make adaptions for you).

• Basic advice would include getting lots of downtime to minimise the chance of meltdowns.

Do what you want to do rather than doing things to fit in.

Unmask where possible, as this is an unnecessary stress we out on ourselves. 

Try CBT or counselling for any self esteem, motivational or social/anxiety issues. You never know what might help unless you try it. (This is all we have on offer, and it isn’t tailored to ASD individuals BUT a good therapist might make adaptions for you).

Children
No Data