Recently been diagnosed with autism

Hi!

I have recently been diagnosed with autism. I'm in my mid-20s. I've found it helpful and frustrating at the same time. Helpful as it explains a lot but frustrating as I've spent so long trying to fit in to situations which were never for me. What practical advice do people have to finding practical support for your autism and balancing life's challenges and needs?

Thanks

Parents
  • Hello Doug and welcome .

I'm pleased you've had some of your questions answered. The only advice I can offer is be yourself and don't try to please others. If you're ever in a situation that makes you uneasy or uncomfortable , leave. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks , It's about you and being able to cope with your Autism in a calm and comfortable manner. 

I was diagnosed with Autism in December 2022 And was discharged from the Community Mental Heath team in March or 2023 because they don't support people with Autism . There are no services in my area that support Autism . So I have become my own therapist and simply do the things I enjoy and keep myself occupied with healthy activities. 

I hope you return here often . This community has a lot to offer .

Good Luck and take care Fox

• Hello Doug and welcome .

I'm pleased you've had some of your questions answered. The only advice I can offer is be yourself and don't try to please others. If you're ever in a situation that makes you uneasy or uncomfortable , leave. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks , It's about you and being able to cope with your Autism in a calm and comfortable manner. 

I was diagnosed with Autism in December 2022 And was discharged from the Community Mental Heath team in March or 2023 because they don't support people with Autism . There are no services in my area that support Autism . So I have become my own therapist and simply do the things I enjoy and keep myself occupied with healthy activities. 

I hope you return here often . This community has a lot to offer .

Good Luck and take care Fox

Children
No Data