Couples counseling

Hi all,

I'm wondering is anyone here has had any experience of couples counseling? Both my wife and I are terrible at communicating our feelings, and I suspect that I often misinterpret her emotions and that she does the same for me. I wonder if anyone has had any success with counseling for this sort of thing?

For reference, I'm diagnosed autistic. My wife isn't, but I suspect she is neurodivergent, but she's happy to see it as being "just herself". All of this is somewhat academic anyway as my wife doesn't like talking to people if she can avoid it.

Thanks in advance,

Phil

Parents
  • Both my wife and I are terrible at communicating our feelings, and I suspect that I often misinterpret her emotions and that she does the same for me.

I had relationship counselling with my then partner a long time ago.

I think that the problems we experienced were similar to yours.

However, we were both undiagnosed autistic.

So, I think that complicates things a lot.

For example, how much of the way we were communicating was due to autism and the parts that were, are they changeable?

Also, I suffered from severe PMT at the time so I was very emotional.

We arranged two marriages but both were cancelled.

I would have ploughed ahead with them but (hindsight being a wonderful thing) I believe that would have been a mistake, considering how my life has turned out.

We are however still firm friends.

my wife doesn't like talking to people if she can avoid it.

This is true (with regard to emotions) of my then partner/now friend and hasn't changed.

I wish you all the best with this.

• Both my wife and I are terrible at communicating our feelings, and I suspect that I often misinterpret her emotions and that she does the same for me.

I had relationship counselling with my then partner a long time ago.

I think that the problems we experienced were similar to yours.

However, we were both undiagnosed autistic.

So, I think that complicates things a lot.

For example, how much of the way we were communicating was due to autism and the parts that were, are they changeable?

Also, I suffered from severe PMT at the time so I was very emotional.

We arranged two marriages but both were cancelled.

I would have ploughed ahead with them but (hindsight being a wonderful thing) I believe that would have been a mistake, considering how my life has turned out.

We are however still firm friends.

my wife doesn't like talking to people if she can avoid it.

This is true (with regard to emotions) of my then partner/now friend and hasn't changed.

I wish you all the best with this.

Children
No Data