Bring Back Aspie

So I really feel that the term Asperger's, although dropped for valid reasons, served a very real function within the community.

I of course understand why the grouping exists. But from a social stigma pov, I find it limiting to consider myself, who is fortunate to be a very adept and able high-functioning person, in the same category of autism as those who sadly are much less well functioning.

I'm sure it won't be popular to say it, but I feel I would certainly benefit from being considered an Aspie instead.

I'm interested to here why other people think about this?

Parents
  • Aside from the name, I think the problem with classifying or dividing into aspergers/high functioning/low support is it suggests a linear spectrum. I prefer the thing with circles and different segments.

I agree with what Roy said too that support needs can change daily/monthly/yearly.  This time last year I was signed off with stress and the main goal the doctor gave me was to try and leave the house every day. I was surviving not high functioning which I guess is where that classification would put me.

• For me this is an important point well made.

The reason I posed the question is because I've noticed that within myself, I feel a sense of fear in other people's reaction when I say I'm autistic that doesn't seem to come if I say I am Asperger's

Not sure why there is a difference but I think ignorance plays a very large part. I'm just not willing to be treated differently even though I am to many, I'm also not that different to all of you, so why should I have to deal with this weirdness!?

• The reason I posed the question is because I've noticed that within myself, I feel a sense of fear in other people's reaction when I say I'm autistic that doesn't seem to come if I say I am Asperger's

Not sure why there is a difference but I think ignorance plays a very large part. I'm just not willing to be treated differently even though I am to many, I'm also not that different to all of you, so why should I have to deal with this weirdness!

Remember Rosa Parks?  There were many people who followed the bus segregation rules because that's just the way it was, it was easier and safer to comply.  Until one person decided to challenge it, and a revolution began.

If we continue to follow the easiest path, then nothing changes for the people who come after.  Change takes time and effort.  Changing opinions is like a tap dripping into a bucket, one small drop at a time, changing one person's understanding at a time, being patient with their ignorance because they can only work with the information they have.

I say I'm autistic and I'm open about it and I explain the things that are harder for me to do.  It's taken a long journey to be able to do so, and a year of counselling which helps me learn to express myself.  I'm also lucky to work in education where most people do at least have a basic understanding.  But I still see ableism around me in attitudes and remarks.  I don't challenge those moments directly because it's a form of situational mutism, but I can challenge them by living openly and authentically and representing the children I support.

• If we continue to follow the easiest path, then nothing changes for the people who come after. 

That's so true!!! 

Reply Children
No Data