Bring Back Aspie

So I really feel that the term Asperger's, although dropped for valid reasons, served a very real function within the community.

I of course understand why the grouping exists. But from a social stigma pov, I find it limiting to consider myself, who is fortunate to be a very adept and able high-functioning person, in the same category of autism as those who sadly are much less well functioning.

I'm sure it won't be popular to say it, but I feel I would certainly benefit from being considered an Aspie instead.

I'm interested to here why other people think about this?

Parents
  • Aside from the name, I think the problem with classifying or dividing into aspergers/high functioning/low support is it suggests a linear spectrum. I prefer the thing with circles and different segments.

I agree with what Roy said too that support needs can change daily/monthly/yearly.  This time last year I was signed off with stress and the main goal the doctor gave me was to try and leave the house every day. I was surviving not high functioning which I guess is where that classification would put me.

• Aside from the name, I think the problem with classifying or dividing into aspergers/high functioning/low support is it suggests a linear spectrum. I prefer the thing with circles and different segments.

I agree with what Roy said too that support needs can change daily/monthly/yearly.  This time last year I was signed off with stress and the main goal the doctor gave me was to try and leave the house every day. I was surviving not high functioning which I guess is where that classification would put me.

Children
  • For me this is an important point well made.

The reason I posed the question is because I've noticed that within myself, I feel a sense of fear in other people's reaction when I say I'm autistic that doesn't seem to come if I say I am Asperger's

Not sure why there is a difference but I think ignorance plays a very large part. I'm just not willing to be treated differently even though I am to many, I'm also not that different to all of you, so why should I have to deal with this weirdness!?