ADHD: Private clinics exposed by BBC undercover investigation

Harley Psychiatrists (one of the clinics investigated) did my online ASD assessment via the NHS.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-65534448

Parents
  • To summarise today:

I think I am who I thought I am.

I scored 175 in the RAADS test + there were other tests too.

My family (especially my mother) show/ed traits of autism too, and considering its genetic component, that's another indicator besides a lifelong display of autistic traits in myself.

When I deal with professionals I expect them to be exactly that ie professional.

I think this is what really threw me yesterday.

Although I understand concerns about the making of the programme and have great reservations myself, I wasn't impressed by the assessment shown.

However, I believe there would have been paperwork completed beforehand which would have shown indications of ADHD.

My own ASD assessment was done by a different set of clinicians and was for a different condition and was more thorough.

I do feel for the people who have been diagnosed by these clinics though for ADHD as there will be quite a few people in a quandary this morning doubting themselves (and their meds).

• To summarise today:

I think I am who I thought I am.

I scored 175 in the RAADS test + there were other tests too.

My family (especially my mother) show/ed traits of autism too, and considering its genetic component, that's another indicator besides a lifelong display of autistic traits in myself.

When I deal with professionals I expect them to be exactly that ie professional.

I think this is what really threw me yesterday.

Although I understand concerns about the making of the programme and have great reservations myself, I wasn't impressed by the assessment shown.

However, I believe there would have been paperwork completed beforehand which would have shown indications of ADHD.

My own ASD assessment was done by a different set of clinicians and was for a different condition and was more thorough.

I do feel for the people who have been diagnosed by these clinics though for ADHD as there will be quite a few people in a quandary this morning doubting themselves (and their meds).

Children
  • Like you, every test I have ever taken has confirmed my autistic identity. Even tests that I thought that I would fall within the 'normal' range for, I fall outside. I thought that I didn't have any measurable degree of alexithymia, but two tests I took indicated that I was 'highly alexithymic'.