Do you look younger than your age?

Do you look younger than your age?

Could this be autism related?

An autistic friend mentioned this to me the other day and then it was commented on in a thread here today.

I do look younger than my age and so does my friend - maybe by as much as a decade (on a good day).

Parents
  • I do wonder if it's not partly how we dress/act that makes people think this. As a generally nervous, awkward person I think I was always ID'd for drink (for example) because I always looked nervous because of the potential interaction, which made it look like I was up to something. 

I think it also maybe applies to appearance as well. I have never cared one bit about my external appearance, clothes or anything. Being totally honest I didn't really understand you were meant to regularly shower and wash your clothes until people pointed it out to me repeatedly as an adult. Now I make sure everything is always clean but other than that I'm exactly as I always was and I think that makes me look 'younger' as as a 40 odd year old I should probably be having a proper hair cut and bothering to shave. 

• (for example) because I always looked nervous because of the potential interaction, which made it look like I was up to something. 

Yes....I have the same problem but for a different perception.  I don't get perceived as looking nervous, but as a shady looking hitman or something to be wary of (because I'm never quite sure how to approach a new potential interaction.)  When I then start to act like a clown in an effort to lessen their suspicion of me, I look more like a mental crazy hitman and/or escaped patient who must certainly be up to something......if I then start talking rationally with long words and complex sentence structures, my goose can be really cooked !  I look old.  I am old.  For the record, I'm not shady !

• Haha that's exactly it. This was all well before my diagnosis so I didn't really understand have the language to describe how I felt other than 'nervous'.

I would try my best not to appear that way by conjuring up what I imagined to be the most adult way of getting attention, which obviously just instantly made me stand out. 'Excuse me, good sir, could you just approve this alcohol purchase I'm trying to transact'

• Haha that's exactly it. This was all well before my diagnosis so I didn't really understand have the language to describe how I felt other than 'nervous'.

I would try my best not to appear that way by conjuring up what I imagined to be the most adult way of getting attention, which obviously just instantly made me stand out. 'Excuse me, good sir, could you just approve this alcohol purchase I'm trying to transact'

Children
  • Ah yes......for some reason, I also often seem to adopt the masking persona of a late 19th century Master Craftsman....calling eveybody sir and madam.....I do know that I very often sound like a t wat, but it is what comes naturally !!!!  ...and yes, I do know what that implies about myself !  If this persona doesn't bubble up, then I am often left with either hilarious outrageous clown or low-level cockney or Eastern European gansta .. neither of which I am.

The really interesting thing (for me) is that when I meet with one of my very few "REAL" friends, we often don't even bother verbally greeting each other and often hang out for a few minutes in the same space before either of us talk.  If you were watching us, you would presume we didn't know each other.

I'm a very odd fish !