Nervous - My autism assessment in a few days

I have an appointment this week

Anyway I was expecting a long wait and now my appointment is in 5 days, not sure if this is an autism thing, but I need time to prepare myself for things I get anxious when things I have set in my mind to do change. So now I am panicking as haven't had that mental time to settle myself to do the appointment. 

I am also excited because if I am diagnosed as autistic this will make so much sense of my daily struggles, but also will make me sad to have been misunderstood and struggled for many many years.

Any advice please? 

Were you nervous before assessment?

How did you feel once diagnosed, especially if older like me?

Parents
  • Hello Salsa

I had to wait three years for my assessment and then all of a sudden I had an appointment and was sent lots of questionnaires that had to be completed and returned ( Via E-mail ) within a few days .

Anxiety , annoyance and rattled is an understatement having it all thrust upon you in such sort notice . Then I had my assessments ( Via a zoom call ) - One was for an hour and the next was for three hours . Looking back I wish I had made notes about my feelings and struggles, there were things I wish I had said but I had forgotten , I have a habit of remembering things after the event and I feel like I am lying or misleading when I say ' I just remembered ! ' 

My advice is take control. Speak calmly , slowly , think about your answers , don't feel rushed, Have a glass of water or juice with you if you need too and just be yourself . Remember they are not just listening to you , they are also watching your body language , your eye contact , hand gestures ( Or lack of ) Just try to relax , breathe , you've been waiting for this moment , it's here now . Don't pressure yourself or hide anything . 

It's very ... exposing . All those little 'Quirks ' you hide from others you have to show them , you have to lay yourself bare and show them who you really are . It's tough but it's also very important because it's about YOU .

I wish you well and I hope everything goes well. Please leave us all an update too if you can Fox

• Thank you. I was only referred 2 weeks ago, so it was a big shock to get an appointment so quickly. I have completed the questionnaires and also sent some other info that I had done with my therapist. My main worry is I am so good at masking I get confused as to what is real me if that makes sense? I am terrible at knowing my true thoughts and feelings. But I will try and stay calm take my time answering and do my best. 

• 2 weeks ago ! so quick. It was horrible waiting 3 years , being told you're Autistic but not knowing for certain. I much prefer certainty .

So your main worry is whether you're being your true self . Isn't that something you now have time to think about ? Do you think you are more your true self when you're alone , where there is no judgement or hassling ? It certainly is for me . Maybe you have this time to get to know yourself again and accept who you are .

Writing things down might help. I did formulation with my Psychologist and it's really surprising how things have more clarity when you write them down .

I'll be thinking about you and I really wish you nothing but the best Fox 

• 2 weeks ago ! so quick. It was horrible waiting 3 years , being told you're Autistic but not knowing for certain. I much prefer certainty .

So your main worry is whether you're being your true self . Isn't that something you now have time to think about ? Do you think you are more your true self when you're alone , where there is no judgement or hassling ? It certainly is for me . Maybe you have this time to get to know yourself again and accept who you are .

Writing things down might help. I did formulation with my Psychologist and it's really surprising how things have more clarity when you write them down .

I'll be thinking about you and I really wish you nothing but the best Fox 

Children
  • Try it ! what do you have to lose ? It's not going to be an interrogation . No one is going to shine a light in your face and demand something of you , it's more like a conversation, a chat . It's going to be with someone who understands, who knows how to approach and talk to people with ASD so you don't need to feel pressured. 

When the interviews are over you'll either get a diagnosis there and then or you'll get a phone call for a follow up appointment after it's gone to a panel for discussion and agreement . After that in a few weeks you should receive an Assessment report via E-mail. Fox

• Good Idea I may do that 

• Why not write a poem about it ? if it helps you put down all your thoughts and feelings Fox

• Thank you. I live for certainty Slight smile. That is such a good point, I am very different on my own and like to spend a lot of time on my own to recharge. I love to write poetry that is my outlet, so I am currently writing down as much as I can ready for my appointment