Defying autistic stereotype still autistic?

Few things that delayed my self-diagnousis as someone on the spectrum because they defy the stereotype. First, I hate routine because I have such inconsistency and mood changes. One day I'd like to talk and chat and the other I'd like to stay in my room alone. I can't imagine a life where everyday is the same. I have different moods and i can't just stick to working hours 9to17. Somedays I like to have very slow morning or work on Sunday and sleep on Monday.. can't eat the same food everyday but I do have bunch of recipes that I tend to repeat, maybe just because it's easier and than cooking something new, but sometimes I do.

Second is that I like new experiences. Traveling, new food, new places in the city and so on when I have the mood for it. Even if the experience might intimidat NTs. 

Third is that I can be friendly if I'm well recharged and rested. I can be social if I'm very well rested and recharged (alone for few days). Smile, chit chat (never a small talk tho). I can tolerate lights and sounds after good sleep..

Can anyone relate to any of this?. Is this normal among autistic people?. Most of what I read online talks about repetitive behaviours, sticking to routine and being closed to new experiences..

Parents
  • This thread is interesting to me, as I also like new experiences, providing I can recharge. I have been described as living in organised chaos. I like ordering things, but my time-keeping is appalling. Sticking to routine is really difficult and stressful. I have wondered if I am dyspraxic (devevelopmental coordination disorder) as I am rather clumsy. DCD is often comorbid with autism and is a far better fit than ADHD for me.

I think the key thing you state, is being rested, recharged allows you to enjoy novelty. I expect your threshold is probably lower than many NTs.

• This thread is interesting to me, as I also like new experiences, providing I can recharge. I have been described as living in organised chaos. I like ordering things, but my time-keeping is appalling. Sticking to routine is really difficult and stressful. I have wondered if I am dyspraxic (devevelopmental coordination disorder) as I am rather clumsy. DCD is often comorbid with autism and is a far better fit than ADHD for me.

I think the key thing you state, is being rested, recharged allows you to enjoy novelty. I expect your threshold is probably lower than many NTs.

Children
  • Thank you for replying this. Well, maybe the threshold is actually lower but how would I know?. Most of the stereotypes or the description of autism published online describe autism from the point of view of NT observer which I can't relate to at all. Routine to me means doing exactly the same things at the same time which is very exhausting to keep it this way everyday. After a bad sleep at night it's so hard to keep the routine that I can usually do after a regular night. Somedays I need to recharge, some other days I need to be around people because I get lonely. From my point of view there's no routine at all but maybe for an NT this is hell of a routine.. few resources describe what we go through from our internal perspective that's why this forum is so valuable to me among others reasons of course.