Mood swings as a late diagnosed adult

Hello everyone,

TL;DR: I'm looking for advice on dealing with my mood swings and outbursts of anger.

I'm hoping for a bit of advice. I've had mood swings a lot throughout my life. I'm not sure if they are tied to my autism or not, but today I had a massive mood swing going from happy to angry and ended up snapping at my wife which, understandably, really upset her. It's been a very long time since I've done this, but several years ago, during a time which I now recognise as me being in burnout and struggling a lot, I had a lot of moments like this.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to manage these things. For context, I was trying to make hot chocolate for the family using a velvetiser thing from hotel Chocolat (as a side note I highly recommend these). They use flakes of grated chocolate, but a few weeks ago they were left on top of the air fryer and several of the sachets melted and clumped up. I tried breaking this up before use but some got stuck in the machine which causes the motor to make a horrible sound which makes me freak out because I feel like it's going to break the machine. I got distressed by this, but my wife just said it's fine and to keep it going but I ended up snapping at her and I upset her.

I fully appreciate that I am in the wrong here, but I would appreciate if anyone can suggest anything to help with managing situations like this where things are rapidly going wrong without me getting angry.

Thanks,

Phil

Parents
  • Hi. This may sound like a weird one, but there is a book 'anger' by the psychologist carol tavis, which describes what anger is. Understanding this perspective on what anger is isnt a cure, and it is better for helping to ignore outbursts on others, rather than your own, but it helps.

• Hi. This may sound like a weird one, but there is a book 'anger' by the psychologist carol tavis, which describes what anger is. Understanding this perspective on what anger is isnt a cure, and it is better for helping to ignore outbursts on others, rather than your own, but it helps.

Children
No Data