Mood swings as a late diagnosed adult

Hello everyone,

TL;DR: I'm looking for advice on dealing with my mood swings and outbursts of anger.

I'm hoping for a bit of advice. I've had mood swings a lot throughout my life. I'm not sure if they are tied to my autism or not, but today I had a massive mood swing going from happy to angry and ended up snapping at my wife which, understandably, really upset her. It's been a very long time since I've done this, but several years ago, during a time which I now recognise as me being in burnout and struggling a lot, I had a lot of moments like this.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to manage these things. For context, I was trying to make hot chocolate for the family using a velvetiser thing from hotel Chocolat (as a side note I highly recommend these). They use flakes of grated chocolate, but a few weeks ago they were left on top of the air fryer and several of the sachets melted and clumped up. I tried breaking this up before use but some got stuck in the machine which causes the motor to make a horrible sound which makes me freak out because I feel like it's going to break the machine. I got distressed by this, but my wife just said it's fine and to keep it going but I ended up snapping at her and I upset her.

I fully appreciate that I am in the wrong here, but I would appreciate if anyone can suggest anything to help with managing situations like this where things are rapidly going wrong without me getting angry.

Thanks,

Phil

Parents
  • I have an autistic friend who I was once in a relationship with.

When he got stressed and frustrated he lost his temper and broke things (usually the thing he was dealing with so he might have broken that chocolate maker).

The solution for him was to live on his own as living together I think was too much of a strain for him.

However, with regard to my own temper I found antidepressants, which deal with the anxiety basis, helped a lot.

Also, I've become more mellow with age and the settling down of my hormones.

I'd suggest walking away from a situation like the one you describe, and perhaps let your wife take over.

Go to a quiet place and be on your own until you have calmed down.

• I have an autistic friend who I was once in a relationship with.

When he got stressed and frustrated he lost his temper and broke things (usually the thing he was dealing with so he might have broken that chocolate maker).

The solution for him was to live on his own as living together I think was too much of a strain for him.

However, with regard to my own temper I found antidepressants, which deal with the anxiety basis, helped a lot.

Also, I've become more mellow with age and the settling down of my hormones.

I'd suggest walking away from a situation like the one you describe, and perhaps let your wife take over.

Go to a quiet place and be on your own until you have calmed down.

Children