Is it worth getting a diagnosis?

Hi, I believe I have Autism as does my psychiatrist and my friends. I am on the NHS waiting list which could be a few years wait time. I am having help from my psychiatrist and have read some helpful books. Is it essential to get a diagnosis or should I carry on as I am as my treatment won’t change whether I get an official diagnosis or not so not sure whether to put myself through an assessment incase for some reason they say I don’t have it and it’s all in my head…..

Parents
  • If it is all in your head in view of the possibility of a negative assessment outcome, having psychiatric treatment should be a great help for you. Engaging with an ASD assessment interview --- as I see it --- relies on your symptoms. If the general consensus between your friends, family, and psychiatrist seems to agree, then it would seem obvious to me for you to persue an assessment.

• Thanks hun, I am on the waiting list but I always worry about these things. I get PIP due to my Bipolar and other condition but every time Inhave a PIP assessment I feel like I am not being believed and that I have to fight for everything. My gp said so many people are not applying for Autism assessments to get benefits that their is a tough criteria to pass now. I don’t want a diagnosis to get anything extra to what I already have I just want confirmation that I have it but am so worried they will say I don’t and I don’t know how that will affect me lol. So many people believe I have it so don’t know why I am worried lol I suffer bad from anxiety x

• Thanks hun, I am on the waiting list but I always worry about these things. I get PIP due to my Bipolar and other condition but every time Inhave a PIP assessment I feel like I am not being believed and that I have to fight for everything. My gp said so many people are not applying for Autism assessments to get benefits that their is a tough criteria to pass now. I don’t want a diagnosis to get anything extra to what I already have I just want confirmation that I have it but am so worried they will say I don’t and I don’t know how that will affect me lol. So many people believe I have it so don’t know why I am worried lol I suffer bad from anxiety x

Children
No Data