Is it worth getting a diagnosis?

Hi, I believe I have Autism as does my psychiatrist and my friends. I am on the NHS waiting list which could be a few years wait time. I am having help from my psychiatrist and have read some helpful books. Is it essential to get a diagnosis or should I carry on as I am as my treatment won’t change whether I get an official diagnosis or not so not sure whether to put myself through an assessment incase for some reason they say I don’t have it and it’s all in my head…..

Parents
  • If it is all in your head in view of the possibility of a negative assessment outcome, having psychiatric treatment should be a great help for you. Engaging with an ASD assessment interview --- as I see it --- relies on your symptoms. If the general consensus between your friends, family, and psychiatrist seems to agree, then it would seem obvious to me for you to persue an assessment.

• If it is all in your head in view of the possibility of a negative assessment outcome, having psychiatric treatment should be a great help for you. Engaging with an ASD assessment interview --- as I see it --- relies on your symptoms. If the general consensus between your friends, family, and psychiatrist seems to agree, then it would seem obvious to me for you to persue an assessment.

Children
  • Thanks hun, I am on the waiting list but I always worry about these things. I get PIP due to my Bipolar and other condition but every time Inhave a PIP assessment I feel like I am not being believed and that I have to fight for everything. My gp said so many people are not applying for Autism assessments to get benefits that their is a tough criteria to pass now. I don’t want a diagnosis to get anything extra to what I already have I just want confirmation that I have it but am so worried they will say I don’t and I don’t know how that will affect me lol. So many people believe I have it so don’t know why I am worried lol I suffer bad from anxiety x