How do we deal with being insulted?

This topic came up in another thread, and having struggled with the topic myself for about 5 decades, I'd like to see how the rest of you do it.

For me the response to an insult is often confusion. Did I hear that right? Does it mean what I think it means, and if so WhyTF are they insulting me?

AND HOW SHOULD I RESPOND??

Do you see all those nasty question marks? I don't LIKE having to find answers to questions, on the spot, in real time, that's for sure.

In my case I've always seen it as a form of combat, and I really, really, resent having "combat" in any form thrust upon me unexpectedly, so for many years I've not enjoyed that part of life.

Eventually, after much training and dedication I grew to be the "Butterbean" of insult exchangers, which was one way of solving the problem.

How is it for you?

Parents
  • I think you must be talking about face to face comments rather than online?

So, with regard to that, I probably won't realise I've been insulted until afterwards, but if I do realise and I get genuinely annoyed my tongue will run away with me and I will be quite verbally sharp in return.

Usually though it will hit me about 2 hours later, what the person actually meant.

Regarding online, that's different and I'll just calmly respond (usually).

I do like to be logical, calm and not aggressive in my replies, where I can manage it.

after much training and dedication I grew to be the "Butterbean" of insult exchangers

I don't understand this 'Butterbean' reference.

Please explain.

Thanks.

• Butterbean was/is a boxer who caught my eye. He's a bit of a monster...

• Thank you for that explanation. I too wondered and my conclusion was that it meant soaking up the insults, as when I was a child you soaked dried butter beans overnight before cooking them.

Reply Children
No Data