Good article: Melanie Sykes

‘Thrown under the bus’: Melanie Sykes says she quit TV after bad treatment by industry | Television | The Guardian

Good article this. 

Also, why I decided to leave the business too: Music. 

I still do music but in my own way in order to avoid such males. Terrible this is still happening. 

Mel is great when she is on radio, I hope she comes back on air soon. 

• I have just found out she is doing a talk about her book but unfortunately it is sold out! Grrrr! I wish I would know about these things in advance!

• I’ve just ordered the audiobook, it’s released on 21st June. I follow Mel on Instagram, this is her taking about her book release.

www.instagram.com/.../

• Lots of predator types. 

• My mums reading her book as well!

• Yeah!  My copy of her book just arrived :-)

• I've listened to Fern Brady being interviewed on several podcasts relating to autism and found her experiences very relatable. There seems to be a willingness to listen to women in the public eye at present, so hopefully it will expand, as I've no doubt that there's female TV execs that can green light further documentaries on the subject.

• I'm was in the same industry as Mel, crossed paths a few times... The industry attracts many high functioning autistic people for obvious reasons. However, in retrospect it wasn't the right fit for me either, as I too didn't realise why I had burnout bouts and the rest. It's an unpredictable industry and although it has great perks, mainly the income and travel, it takes its toll on all who enter it.

• I read the piece through :-)  I have a pre-order in for her book and am looking forward to it.  I'm glad she's going to do a couple of documentaries too.

I think it's really timely this past year that Christine McGuiness, Fern Brady and now Melanie are publishing, it will really help the NAS campaign on women and non-binary people to have famous autistic women speaking up so frankly.  Bravo all of them!  Hopefully, they will reach a wide audience.

• My Gran had no life; outside our old four walls. TV was her true religion.

My brother, and I, had other outlets.

• I'm not best pleased with the medical proffession these days. I know just enough about these things to know how bloody incompetent yet full of hubris they are these days. 

We are better off making an effort to stay healthy ourselves, manage our own bodies and behaviours, trade amongst ourselves, and turn the T.V. off and learn now skills constantly, instead of subjecting ourselves to hours and hours of "conditioning" disguised as "entertainment" or worse, "news"..

Everyone I know who does these things, seems better adjusted and less hysterical than the average man. 

• Melanie Sykes autobiography sounds interesting, thanks for sharing!

• I liked Mel on Radio 2, but Radio 2 have been very discriminatory against their older staff like Steve Wright, and ex presenter Simon Mayo as well as Paul O Grady (sadly he passed away last month), and Craig Charles. I am young and loved their shows, but after the way they started axing and moving presenters about etc, I stopped listening to the shows and was glad to see Ken get a slot else where, and Vanessa Feltz get a job elsewhere too. 

I like Mel's work she is always down to earth and I saw some clips of Des and Mel show which was great. I could not tell that she was struggling with the control room talking in her ear, she was very good and professional, I like the chit chat. 

I wonder if Mel is a member on this page, if so Mel, why not start a youtube of your own? do some presenting on topics that interest you etc and even take the camera down to a cafe you like etc etc and be your own boss. 

Anyway, I hope to read your book when it comes out, I think it is very brave to open up about your life and to educate others on autism.  So thank you. 

• Behind the sparkling glitz and glamour is evil.

I like Mel, seems like an interesting person who I'd love to meet and get to know. Thanks for sharing.

• I think most are, but show business, TV, movies, music are the worst. Vile behaviours

• Same here. I work in TV still, but as a contractor. Most of the industry just treat skilled professionals like cattle. Hire & fire people every 12 months, treat experienced staff like idiots at the whim of the latest management restructure.

Forget being 'different' in that world, you must fall into the culture whatever that is, or you find you are scapegoated.

Ugly business. Isn't all business ugly these days?

• Too many vultures, out there.

When I had full-time work, I never met their standards. While, in my eyes, I tried to fit into the office politics.

To Hell with TV!