How did your friends react when you told them about your autism?

I have came out to 4 people in my life about my autism so far. I have considered all of them as caring empathetic people. 2 of them were very nice, offering to listen to me since it's a lot of things in mind and lot of feelings. The other two had a reaction that surprised me. One said nothing but "thank you for sharing" and right after that asked me for a favor. It felt like this big reveal of mine ment nothing to them. The other one asked me "is it officially diagnosed?" And didn't respond to my answer only a day after writing a message "do you want to hang out?". I'm sad because of these reactions and I honestly don't know how to interpret them.. it felt like they don't care or understand how huge of a deal this is for me.. did anyone have similar experiences?

Parents
  • There is a considerable lack of research and understanding on Autism. The history of understanding has gone through wobbles, been dropped, been discarded and so on. It can be smart to speak to others regarding the Autistic Difference by recognising where THEY are at. There's reasons for this, as society in general has become more homogenised in thinking due to inter-connectivity, and then algorithms creating all kinds of unreasonable expectations. The NT brain is not as malleable after a certain age due to synaptic pruning which it has been theorised we might not have - their brains being like a meticulous garden & ours a wild field of all kinds of ecology maybe tended at best by foragers.

I'd also like to help on a pragmatic level. "My" autism individualises a thing and further isolates something which actually connects a collective of individuals, and makes the collective remarkably unique - give or take. Calling something Mine was originally invented as a way to sell a product or advertise a shop: My Tesco, My H&M, My latte, My iPhone, It creates Exclusivity through inclusion/exclusion. You'll notice this with things like Microsoft who try to tell you cult-like you're part of their 'family'.

Autistics are already too marginalised, to continue to say My dyslexia or My ADHD only might suggest there is no scientific proof or grounding behind this, anyone can join, anyone can be anything, we're all a little this or that. "My" way suggests are no definitions and limits. But in fact, there are. This might be the ONLY strength behind "I have... " (red hair, something else others "have"). 

If you think of Autistic biology like a personality, this helps. We're a bit like Planet X or the 13the mysterious star sign, as the very few fundamental values which make us all unique - a difference with language, with sense-perception and the monotropic brain, create a unique being: creative but pragmatic. Chaotic and logical. 

It can be good to define finding more about the self, one's strengths and limits. "It turns out I'm autistic! (or 'on the spectrum' if this is all they understand). I guess I use language different, so feel free to help if it sounds like I don't understand." Or "is it possible to sit outside? I didn't realise it was ok to ask to not have to put up with the harsh lights and loud music in the cafe, it turns out I don't dull my senses the same being autistic! Crazy. And I'd love to be able to focus on our conversation". << Note - affirming the other when you'd like them to affirm you, realllllllly helps.  Also note, when first discussing, it can be better to intentionally with hold information and only say this in passing when it matters. Allow others to inquire further. 

• There is a considerable lack of research and understanding on Autism. The history of understanding has gone through wobbles, been dropped, been discarded and so on. It can be smart to speak to others regarding the Autistic Difference by recognising where THEY are at. There's reasons for this, as society in general has become more homogenised in thinking due to inter-connectivity, and then algorithms creating all kinds of unreasonable expectations. The NT brain is not as malleable after a certain age due to synaptic pruning which it has been theorised we might not have - their brains being like a meticulous garden & ours a wild field of all kinds of ecology maybe tended at best by foragers.

I'd also like to help on a pragmatic level. "My" autism individualises a thing and further isolates something which actually connects a collective of individuals, and makes the collective remarkably unique - give or take. Calling something Mine was originally invented as a way to sell a product or advertise a shop: My Tesco, My H&M, My latte, My iPhone, It creates Exclusivity through inclusion/exclusion. You'll notice this with things like Microsoft who try to tell you cult-like you're part of their 'family'.

Autistics are already too marginalised, to continue to say My dyslexia or My ADHD only might suggest there is no scientific proof or grounding behind this, anyone can join, anyone can be anything, we're all a little this or that. "My" way suggests are no definitions and limits. But in fact, there are. This might be the ONLY strength behind "I have... " (red hair, something else others "have"). 

If you think of Autistic biology like a personality, this helps. We're a bit like Planet X or the 13the mysterious star sign, as the very few fundamental values which make us all unique - a difference with language, with sense-perception and the monotropic brain, create a unique being: creative but pragmatic. Chaotic and logical. 

It can be good to define finding more about the self, one's strengths and limits. "It turns out I'm autistic! (or 'on the spectrum' if this is all they understand). I guess I use language different, so feel free to help if it sounds like I don't understand." Or "is it possible to sit outside? I didn't realise it was ok to ask to not have to put up with the harsh lights and loud music in the cafe, it turns out I don't dull my senses the same being autistic! Crazy. And I'd love to be able to focus on our conversation". << Note - affirming the other when you'd like them to affirm you, realllllllly helps.  Also note, when first discussing, it can be better to intentionally with hold information and only say this in passing when it matters. Allow others to inquire further. 

Children
No Data