Paranormal experiences?

I was chatting about this at one point to Steven so our conversation has inspired this thread (and hopefully may bring him back amongst us) Blush

I've had a long number of experiences in my life including:

Poltergeist activity

Hearing 'ghostly' sounds

Seeing 'ghostly' figures

Machinery not working around me

Radios affected by me

Telepathy with loved ones

Prophetic dreams

Feeling colours in the hands of others ie if they are holding something red, knowing which hand it is in

Sensing spirits, including malevolent

Once using a ouija board where I the marker went mad, had a life of its own and upon me asking who we were talking to it spelt out (very quickly) my late grandfather's name.

I could go on ...

Does anyone else have any experience, and please share your (obviously sometimes sceptical) view on this.

Parents
  • A couple of interesting findings from a recent, Swedish study of autists and the supernatural:

'It is here suggested that unusual somatosensory experiences are frequent among (a subset of) individuals on the autism spectrum. It is noteworthy that 14 out of 17 participants responded that they have had at least one somatosensory experience (sensed presence, touch, and visions) that is labeled in supernatural terms, and such experiences are much more common compared to the matched non-autistic group. These experiences come through as persuasive, and may be key to why the participants embrace supernatural models for understanding the world, despite the secular norms that they encounter.'

-----

'Lastly, Hammer argues that a yearning for enchantment motivates people to embrace supernatural ideas: “For the believer, such phenomena point to the fact that the world is more obscure, grand and magical than what science tells us”. Enchantment quite rightly comes through as an emotional trigger and key aspect in choice of attributions: the participants appear to find ghosts more interesting than gods. Experiences are also described in affirmative terms; even those that trigger fright and adrenaline are described as thrilling, rather than troublesome. In other words, the participants wish for the world to be enchanted, and bodily experiences reinforce this notion. Embodied, embrained and encultured structures are accordingly entwined into a web of magic.'

• A couple of interesting findings from a recent, Swedish study of autists and the supernatural:

'It is here suggested that unusual somatosensory experiences are frequent among (a subset of) individuals on the autism spectrum. It is noteworthy that 14 out of 17 participants responded that they have had at least one somatosensory experience (sensed presence, touch, and visions) that is labeled in supernatural terms, and such experiences are much more common compared to the matched non-autistic group. These experiences come through as persuasive, and may be key to why the participants embrace supernatural models for understanding the world, despite the secular norms that they encounter.'

-----

'Lastly, Hammer argues that a yearning for enchantment motivates people to embrace supernatural ideas: “For the believer, such phenomena point to the fact that the world is more obscure, grand and magical than what science tells us”. Enchantment quite rightly comes through as an emotional trigger and key aspect in choice of attributions: the participants appear to find ghosts more interesting than gods. Experiences are also described in affirmative terms; even those that trigger fright and adrenaline are described as thrilling, rather than troublesome. In other words, the participants wish for the world to be enchanted, and bodily experiences reinforce this notion. Embodied, embrained and encultured structures are accordingly entwined into a web of magic.'

Children
No Data