Dentist gave me an anxiety attack

Ok so I have autisum and anexity disorder. I went for my last check and had a new dentist who made me boom a teeth cleaning after the cleaning he told if I didn’t keep up to date with brushing my teeth he would not help me and my teeth would fall out this made me very anxious all day. And I needed up needing to be claimed down. I have an appointment on Tuesday and feeling very anxious about seeing that dentist again. My last dentist was great he help claim my neves and told me if I improve my my brushing I would have nothing to worry about. Diffent aprounces what should I do

• A new dentist more understanding to your needs is required. An NHS dentist will have a long wait and private will cost a lot, so you need to weigh up your options and what's best for you. I'm with a dentist called Lodge Dental Care, but they are private and expensive. 

• my dentist is ok, i had the same one forever as its same one my parents got me when i first went to a dentist. same guy doing it too.

a dentist shouldnt be saying they wont help someone, if they are saying that then they are saying they wont do their job and if they refuse to do their job they are breaking their work contract. they are paid to do their job, a refusal to do a job they are contracted and paid to do is a breach of their employment terms.

• I can remember vividly being chased around the chair at the dentists as a child 

• If you're feeling anxious about seeing that dentist again, expressing your concerns openly during your appointment might be helpful. Communication is key, so let them know about your autism and anxiety disorder and how their comments affected you. If you don't feel heard or supported, consider finding a dentist who specializes in treating patients with special needs. You can check out www.castlerockdentist.com/, as they might have resources or professionals who can cater to your specific requirements.

• Does your dentist know that you are autistic and anxious.  Do you have sensitivities around brushing?  A lot of us do.  We do our best regardless, but it's hard and if this applies to you, does he know?

Actually that sounds like a really ignorant way to talk to anyone.  I think you may need another dentist.  If the dentist makes you very anxious (the treatment rather than the person, that is) you might ask for a referral to Special Care Dentistry.  No high street dentist could handle me, but Special Care (aka Community care) are generally very good with autistic patients - they get a lot of us and are generally pretty autism informed.

• No dentist should be saying they will not help you, it’s appalling that yours has said that. They have a duty of care and I’m sure can be struck off if they dont adhere to it. So don’t let yourself be stressed out by them saying such things. It’s possible they were using exaggerated humour to finger-wag and we autists are not always brilliant with knowing what is primarily a joke albeit with a serious message attached. But either way, I’m sorry you went through that stress. Hope your next visit is nicer. 

• My advice would be to see if you can find a different dentist that caters for anxious patients. In my experience, dental practices with experience of dealing with anxious patients will state this on their websites. Admittedly, trying to find a dentist that is taking on new patients may prove tricky, especially if you're wanting an NHS dentist. 

• Hi there and sorry to hear that your current dentist has made you feel like that! I thought this information from our website might be helpful https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/physical-health/going-to-the-dentist/autistic-adults there are some other links on that page that talk about bushing teeth etc as well so have a look and see if anything is helpful there - I hope your next appointment wont be as tough!

Best,

SarahMod