Suggestions for things we can do to help ourselves re ASD

There's not a lot of support out there and, per my *disabled thread, it's unclear about what benefits, if any, we can access.

* Link here for info:

https://community.autism.org.uk/f/adults-on-the-autistic-spectrum/31063/is-autism-a-disability

So, I've so far:

Got a disability badge from my county council

Today purchased an 'I am autistic' badge from Amazon

Today purchased loop ear plugs from Amazon

Purchased a disability toilet key from Amazon

What else can we do to make our lives a little bit easier?

Thinking

Parents
  • I bought non ticking clocks for my living room and kitchen also because i don't know about anyone else but the ticking sound really bugs me 

• Same here! I liked one clock in the shop and carefully tried to listen to it right by my ear to see if it was quiet enough, but the ambient noise tricked me and what seemed quiet in the shop was a booming echo in my quiet home! The irritating sound made worse by representing my fleeting life dripping away...

My Dad however finds them very soothing and deliberately has a noisy one by his bed. He also collects clocks and enjoys the intricate mechanisms. (He is also undiagnosed autistic).

• You've got a dad who can read colour codes and likes ticking clocks and the mechanisms therein, give him my regards, will you! 

For those of you of a similar mindset to me and very likely Trikers Dad who might be facing (or in) retirement, REPAIR CAFE needs people like you!

Sure you have to fix things whilst the customer watches you, which isn't everyone's cup of tea, but the lady who's carriage clock I managed to bring back to life, It was old, electrical but of huge sentimental value apparently, inisisted on buying me a Greggs "apple danish" on the session I just did,and really seemed to appreciate the effort I was putting in, even BEFORE it became clear that I could actually get her clock working again!

I prefer both giving and being on the recieving end of that practical form of "being nice", than some artificial wordplay that others would seem to think is the beginning and end of "nice" behaviour.  

• It was my husband who can read colour codes, but my Dad probably can as well, since he taught me electronics as a kid, at least well enough that I can tell a resistor from a capacitor. I gave your regards to my husband anyway, and will pass them to my Dad when I see him tomorrow!

Repair cafe sounds cool. Both husband and Dad might be interested, but only if we ever feel able to emerge from covid hermitage.

• It was my husband who can read colour codes, but my Dad probably can as well, since he taught me electronics as a kid, at least well enough that I can tell a resistor from a capacitor. I gave your regards to my husband anyway, and will pass them to my Dad when I see him tomorrow!

Repair cafe sounds cool. Both husband and Dad might be interested, but only if we ever feel able to emerge from covid hermitage.

Children
No Data