Suggestions for things we can do to help ourselves re ASD

There's not a lot of support out there and, per my *disabled thread, it's unclear about what benefits, if any, we can access.

* Link here for info:

https://community.autism.org.uk/f/adults-on-the-autistic-spectrum/31063/is-autism-a-disability

So, I've so far:

Got a disability badge from my county council

Today purchased an 'I am autistic' badge from Amazon

Today purchased loop ear plugs from Amazon

Purchased a disability toilet key from Amazon

What else can we do to make our lives a little bit easier?

Thinking

• The Hidden Disabilities (Sunflower Lanyard) website is brilliant for badges etc, they also published a terrific anthology of poetry by people with hidden disabilities and do great work in awareness raising. I first discovered them in the pandemic when searching for a “mask exempt9 badge but they do so much more and are really committed to helping those of with invisible disabilities. 

• Very pleased for you and the puss

Thank you.

I'm glad hospital saved your life, that must have been scary.

My Dad was in hospital at New Year with an infected kidney stone, he found it very difficult. As you say they are far too busy. He is undiagnosed so certainly no special treatment. I'm sure they did their best. One never knows though, things might change for the better in a few years and it still might be worth my while getting this passport thing. At the very least it would explain why one was having a meltdown!

I have actually today booked an appointment with Sara Heath for pre-diagnosis!

• It was my husband who can read colour codes, but my Dad probably can as well, since he taught me electronics as a kid, at least well enough that I can tell a resistor from a capacitor. I gave your regards to my husband anyway, and will pass them to my Dad when I see him tomorrow!

Repair cafe sounds cool. Both husband and Dad might be interested, but only if we ever feel able to emerge from covid hermitage.

• You've got a dad who can read colour codes and likes ticking clocks and the mechanisms therein, give him my regards, will you! 

For those of you of a similar mindset to me and very likely Trikers Dad who might be facing (or in) retirement, REPAIR CAFE needs people like you!

Sure you have to fix things whilst the customer watches you, which isn't everyone's cup of tea, but the lady who's carriage clock I managed to bring back to life, It was old, electrical but of huge sentimental value apparently, inisisted on buying me a Greggs "apple danish" on the session I just did,and really seemed to appreciate the effort I was putting in, even BEFORE it became clear that I could actually get her clock working again!

I prefer both giving and being on the recieving end of that practical form of "being nice", than some artificial wordplay that others would seem to think is the beginning and end of "nice" behaviour.  

• (My cat is doing well, it turns out he doesn't have cancer! He even started playing again recently.)

That is exceptionally good news.

Very pleased for you and the puss Heart eyes cat

I am seriously considering getting a diagnosis so I can get a hospital passport thing as I have always been worried about if I had to have an op. Even more since my Dad had one and they put things on his feet that kept squeezing them to prevent blood clots, and he had to give himself injections! No way could I cope with those things, quite apart from the noise, lights and heat

I was in hospital for a few days a few weeks ago.

Autism was on my record.

I'm not sure what difference it made or whether a passport ** would make much difference to how you are treated.

It would depend on various  factors but might be especially useful if a person has little or no speech.

It is pretty chaotic a lot of the time, care staff are under enormous pressure, especially time-wise, and you can't really get away from the 'noise, lights and heat'.

Luckily I had Covid so I had a room of my own and then was moved to another room (as often happens, you are always being moved around in hospital).

I found it very stressful but they may have saved my life, so I'm very grateful.

https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/topics/physical-health/my-health-passport

• Learning to say no is a huge thing for me. I used to just say yes to everything out of a mixture of fear of upsetting people and fear of missing out but now Im learning to say no to stuff that I know I wont be able to do or wont be good for me. Ive only just started doing it but its really helping 

• Oh yes, I also had one which was unbearably bright. It said it could be dimmed but even on the dimmest setting I had to cover it up, which somewhat defeated the point. I kept meaning to get some kind of shade so i could still see the time, but executive functioning didn't happen. Now I have a digital clock with no light and a non-ticking clock with hands (I'm sure there is a proper name for that, but it escapes me!)

• I had a noisy ticking clock as a child and it helped me fall asleep. With digital clocks it's the light that disturbs me, so it has to be turned away from me.

• Mostly I just cut myself more slack and try not to beat myself up. Also planning in recovery for things which are overstimulating or stressful, not just physically tiring.

I did ask the vet to email me the details about my sick cat, whereas before I knew I would have just tried to remember what they said, so that was useful. And then I was able to ask questions by email too, rather than just wonder or force myself to use the phone. (My cat is doing well, it turns out he doesn't have cancer! He even started playing again recently.)

But I am still in hiding from covid, might need to consider more things if I ever re-emerge...

I am seriously considering getting a diagnosis so I can get a hospital passport thing as I have always been worried about if I had to have an op. Even more since my Dad had one and they put things on his feet that kept squeezing them to prevent blood clots, and he had to give himself injections! No way could I cope with those things, quite apart from the noise, lights and heat. And am looking into neurodivergent counselling/coaching.

• Same here! I liked one clock in the shop and carefully tried to listen to it right by my ear to see if it was quiet enough, but the ambient noise tricked me and what seemed quiet in the shop was a booming echo in my quiet home! The irritating sound made worse by representing my fleeting life dripping away...

My Dad however finds them very soothing and deliberately has a noisy one by his bed. He also collects clocks and enjoys the intricate mechanisms. (He is also undiagnosed autistic).

• I bought 'I am Autistic' card from this website for 50p + free p&p

• I didn't have to worry about trying to seem normal.

Nice (+ I know what you mean!) Blush

• I used to put my clock under the pillows on the floor at night until digital clocks arrived but digital clocks are still too loud for me so I also have a silent one for my bedroom.

Also, I didn't have wind up clocks around the house at all - the sound drives me mad.

It feels like torture.

• Have you thought of an Autism t shirt or jumper? I've got a shirt. Helps to get the word out there. No one has ever made a horrible comment either, I was expecting it but thankfully everyone's really understanding.

• I bought non ticking clocks for my living room and kitchen also because i don't know about anyone else but the ticking sound really bugs me 

• I bought ear defenders and they're my favourite thing ever. I wear them in addition to earplugs at night and I'm finally getting good sleep.

I also bought a puzzle cube as a stim toy and solving it is really relaxing.

I have a radar key but it doesn't seem to work outside of normal toilet opening hours which seems a bit pointless?

I've found a local autistic social group and been on a walk with them which was nice. I didn't have to worry about trying to seem normal.

• Oh and I forgot to add, reasonable adjustments in the work place. Speaking to management to arrange a meeting is invaluable in my experience.

• Loop ear plugs have changes things for me in the most positive way. Although, it was a challenge when I only took the case out with me to a busy enclosed space rather than the ear plugs themselves! That’s hardly the fault of the ear plugs though.

A big help I have discovered is learning to say no, in a polite but assertive way, to instances that you know are not in your best interests. People we like may want us to go out and do a, b and c, but do we? Can we?

I finding comfortable clothes and reducing sensory input is always helpful too.

• I bought an anti-glare film for my laptop which has really helped

My singing bowls, both the sound and circling motion are helping me relax. Think i've had the deepest sleep in months the last few nights

Candles at night time in my living room instead of electric lights

Wrote a letter to the staff in my local Co-op explaining that im autistic and may appear anxious sometimes or fumble my words

Had a customized medical card made from Etsy so in case of an emergency people would know i'm autistic. I keep it in my phone case 

Bought an 'I have autism' sticker for my front door