Is autism a disability?

My council had autism on the application form and didn't specify it had to be a certain level in order to be registered disabled with them.

This site refers to autism as a developmental disability:

www.autism.org.uk/.../what-is-autism

This link regarding discrimination throws autism being classed generally (ie unqualified) as a disability into doubt.

I find this rather confusing:

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law-and-courts/discrimination/check-if-youre-protected-from-discrimination/what-counts-as-disability/

'The definition is set out in section 6 of the Equality Act 2010. It says you’re disabled if:

• you have a physical or mental impairment
  • that impairment has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on your ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities'

Is it a variable thing then according to what you are trying use the disability definition to achieve?

Is this because we are on a spectrum with varying degrees of functionality?

Parents
  • Also Autism is listed under A5 here:

It is thanks, but see A4 above, where it is once again qualified:

A4. Whether a person is disabled for the purposes of the Act is generally determined by reference to the effect that an impairment has on that person’s ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities.

I guess I kind of take it that they mean just having an autism diagnosis isn’t seen as a disability, but if the diagnosis means you have an impairment, then it does. 

Thanks.

According to that definition then, I probably wouldn't be classed as disabled as I do those things, but they cause me stress.

It's a very grey area I think.

There are however some things I don't do because they would just be too much.

I think it probably comes down the quote above 'the effect that an impairment has on that person’s ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities'.

With regard to my council providing a disabled person's card for discounts, as we are on a spectrum, I assume it was simpler just to allow all autistic people to have one ie not to make a distinction with regard to impairment.

However, perhaps for something more financially valuable, you would need to show proof of:

'the effect that an impairment has on that person’s ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities'.

Perhaps, by showing receipt of a financial benefit from the government?

Maybe then *we are sometimes classed as disabled and sometimes not (for different purposes). Angry

*Also, is the 'we' here those who have been given a level 1 or a 'high functioning' label?

• I think the whole benefits system in place for disabilities is a complete minefield anyway, even if you have a clearly labelled disability rather than autism or mental health which definitely are grey areas. So it makes sense that a disability card that has no monetary value would be a lot easier to obtain. Though they wanted my doctors address, phone number and I had to tick a box that said I was happy for them to contact them - so  I’m not very hopeful of getting one. 

But going back to the benefits for disabilities, the whole thing completely confuses me. I’ve seen a few posts lately where members have said if you don’t want to work, then don’t. It’s not really that simple though is it. I have struggled my entire life both working for others and myself. I’ve never even thought of trying to get help financially because I’m pretty certain I wouldn’t be able to word or show how much my entire life is affected.  It’s not a matter of just not wanting to work. I don’t even think I relayed everything in my assessment as although I talked far too much, I can never get my head in order and say the correct thing at the right time. So although my diagnosis says I scored highly in most areas, I feel it doesn’t include the real issues that I struggle with every single day, more it covers areas that I have removed myself from. 

• I think the whole benefits system in place for disabilities is a complete minefield anyway, even if you have a clearly labelled disability rather than autism or mental health which definitely are grey areas. So it makes sense that a disability card that has no monetary value would be a lot easier to obtain. Though they wanted my doctors address, phone number and I had to tick a box that said I was happy for them to contact them - so  I’m not very hopeful of getting one. 

But going back to the benefits for disabilities, the whole thing completely confuses me. I’ve seen a few posts lately where members have said if you don’t want to work, then don’t. It’s not really that simple though is it. I have struggled my entire life both working for others and myself. I’ve never even thought of trying to get help financially because I’m pretty certain I wouldn’t be able to word or show how much my entire life is affected.  It’s not a matter of just not wanting to work. I don’t even think I relayed everything in my assessment as although I talked far too much, I can never get my head in order and say the correct thing at the right time. So although my diagnosis says I scored highly in most areas, I feel it doesn’t include the real issues that I struggle with every single day, more it covers areas that I have removed myself from. 

Children