From doubt, to being convinced and back again! Non-diagnosed adult.

I'm male, 40 years old and to the outside world (or most of it) I seem like your pretty standard adult. 

I hold down a full-time, rather demanding and complex job. 
I support a family, pay my bills and get on with my life. 

The reality is much different. 

I've never written this all down before, so here goes.

(sorry, this might be a long post, but I need to get it off my chest). 

I like lists because they are clear and concise, so here's a list of things that I've noticed about myself over the years...some I struggle with and some are actually helpful in certain situations: 

- I have a extreme sensitivity to the feel of certain fabrics (particularly polyester) I just cant stand it. It almost feels physically painful when I think about the feel of it. 

- I can be very blunt, or so I'm told. Sometimes to the point of sounding rude or so direct it throws people off. 

- Multiple sounds at the same time distract me, sometimes evoking a feeling of rage. Particularly high pitched or sudden noises. 

- I get really upset (internally its like a sadness mixed with a spoilt child) if I can't do something I planned on doing or really enjoy. 

- I have obsessive interests. Some of them long-standing, others come and go...but I get SO engrossed in them that it takes over days of my life at time. 

- I've always had this underlying feeling of being an alien on the wrong planet. 

- I miss certain social cues (like someone getting bored when I'm talking) but I see other cues almost instantly. 

- I find a lot of peoples interests, particularly those that seem like they have little substance (like watching reality TV) utterly perplexing. They confuse the heck out of me. 

- If I get something in my head, I find it almost impossible to shake off...until I've done it. 

- I like to plan things out in my head. 

- I HATE being late for things, always try to turn up early or it makes me unbearably anxious. 

- I was a quiet and smart kid, never got in to trouble, I wasn't physically overactive but my brain has been in full-on race mode since as far back as I can remember. 

- I make friends, but can only cope with being close to a handful of people. 

- I cope in social situations (just about) but I loath them, they are draining on every level imaginable. 

- I get bored if someone tries to speak to me about something I'm not interested in...and fast. In seconds my mind drifts. 

- I obsessively think of the same things over and over and find comfort in it. 

- I love working from the office, the main reason being...it's full of straight lines, it's clean and everything is laid out in an orderly fashion. 

- I info dump, go on about something in the greatest of detail when talking to people close to me. 

- I repeat myself, especially if its about something important to me. I might bring up a point 4 or 5 times over the course of a week. 

- I find myself 'stimming' as I've been told it's called, usually repetitive hand movements that are not easily noticeable. 

- If I like the shape of something, I draw it out in my mind, sometimes multiple times. 

- When I'm tired or burned out, I find it harder to 'mask' things and these behaviours are more pronounced.

- I don't always show my emotions in facial expressions, sometimes coming across as robotic...but I'm not. I feel things so deeply sometimes its almost physically painful. 

- I love facts, statistics and geeky bits of knowledge. Holding on to them without a problem, but forgetting the simple task I needed to do on a given day. 

- If something has no tangible outcome or point to it, I don't want to do it. I will go out of my way to say I'm not doing it. 

- Logic, truth and honesty are the most important things values to me...bar none! without these things I feel utterly lost. 

- I've always been referred to (by friends and family) as highly intelligent and reliable (if plans are made, I'm there without fail) but I can come across as harsh, unfeeling or arrogant.  

So my question to other adults who have been diagnosed is...

Is there enough here for me to seek an assessment? Or am I just interpreting normal things as 'abnormal'?

I keep doubting myself, convincing myself that I'm just fussy or difficult. 

Parents Reply Children
No Data