Let's Talk About Lists

Lists. I have lists for lists. Even my subcategory lists have subcategories. Yet I never get things done. I have a love/hate relationship with my lists. Creating them makes me feels good, then I feel awful for not ticking things off. The lists are my feeble attempt at stopping my incessant procrastination, but I just ignore them. I once bought a book on how to beat procrastination, which I never got round to reading (no joke). It wouldn't matter if a list was painted in huge letters on a massive sign in my front garden because I'd still ignore it.

Help!

Parents
  • I totally understand this!!! I love making lists so much and it feels even better to tick them off but that rarely happens

I can't offer any help as I haven't worked out how to actually do what's on a list. Hopefully someone knows

P.S. I have exams in a couple of months and spent about 4 hours making a revision timetable (I haven't yet done anything on it, but hey it looks pretty and kept me busy for a whileJoy)

Alisha xx

• When I was a student, I gave up on revision timetables. I love filling in my work calendar with lovely coloured boxes for all the things I plan to do, then I spend the rest of the week moving things around because it all went to pot by Monday lunchtime. At least my bosses think I'm busy Grin

• Revision calendars never worked for me- i would start with my favourite topic usually and then just get super absorbed in lots of random details- For me it was impossible to spend a set amount of time on a topic, i just couldn’t predict how long it would take for me to make sense of things and connect it all together. I can also only study one subject/ topic at time. Luckily my university somewhat encouraged following random interests and details and the questions were open enough for me to do ok with this strategy 

I like lists- it helps with my executive function issues and it also helps feel more in control of everything that needs to happen if it is all written down

• Revision calendars never worked for me- i would start with my favourite topic usually and then just get super absorbed in lots of random details- For me it was impossible to spend a set amount of time on a topic, i just couldn’t predict how long it would take for me to make sense of things and connect it all together. I can also only study one subject/ topic at time. Luckily my university somewhat encouraged following random interests and details and the questions were open enough for me to do ok with this strategy 

I like lists- it helps with my executive function issues and it also helps feel more in control of everything that needs to happen if it is all written down

Children