Let's Talk About Lists

Lists. I have lists for lists. Even my subcategory lists have subcategories. Yet I never get things done. I have a love/hate relationship with my lists. Creating them makes me feels good, then I feel awful for not ticking things off. The lists are my feeble attempt at stopping my incessant procrastination, but I just ignore them. I once bought a book on how to beat procrastination, which I never got round to reading (no joke). It wouldn't matter if a list was painted in huge letters on a massive sign in my front garden because I'd still ignore it.

Help!

Parents
  • I totally understand this!!! I love making lists so much and it feels even better to tick them off but that rarely happens

I can't offer any help as I haven't worked out how to actually do what's on a list. Hopefully someone knows

P.S. I have exams in a couple of months and spent about 4 hours making a revision timetable (I haven't yet done anything on it, but hey it looks pretty and kept me busy for a whileJoy)

Alisha xx

• When I was a student, I gave up on revision timetables. I love filling in my work calendar with lovely coloured boxes for all the things I plan to do, then I spend the rest of the week moving things around because it all went to pot by Monday lunchtime. At least my bosses think I'm busy Grin

• When I was a student, I gave up on revision timetables. I love filling in my work calendar with lovely coloured boxes for all the things I plan to do, then I spend the rest of the week moving things around because it all went to pot by Monday lunchtime. At least my bosses think I'm busy Grin

Children
  • Yes, I can relate to that Ann. I, too, get absorbed in something and find it very hard to stop that in order to start whatever is next on my calendar. That's why I end up moving stuff around.

• Revision calendars never worked for me- i would start with my favourite topic usually and then just get super absorbed in lots of random details- For me it was impossible to spend a set amount of time on a topic, i just couldn’t predict how long it would take for me to make sense of things and connect it all together. I can also only study one subject/ topic at time. Luckily my university somewhat encouraged following random interests and details and the questions were open enough for me to do ok with this strategy 

I like lists- it helps with my executive function issues and it also helps feel more in control of everything that needs to happen if it is all written down