The things that have helped you most?

Given experience often helps, and there are often newly diagnosed members joining the forum, I thought if we shared the things that help us most in bullet points it would be an easy read reference for everyone?

For me, has been:

- Meeting only small groups if I plan to meet people

- Meditation & Breath work (helped anxiety & digestion)

- Symprove Probiotics (helped anxiety & digestion)

- Walking in nature (elevates mood)

- Watching childhood movies (calming)

Parents
  • The main thing that has helped me the most, is knowing why I am different.

Knowing, in the sense that, I already knew that my thoughts, behaviours and beliefs were very different to the vast majority of other humans around me......but I could not begin to understand why.  In order to cope with my autism, I had unknowingly developed some very peculiar behaviours and curated a life for myself that simply could not be made sense of - neither by myself, nor the others around me.  I was constantly pre-occupied (for about a decade) trying to understand that "why" question.

Now that I know why I am different, I am calm - in a way that I have never experienced before.  Its pretty zen.

So sorry if this answer may not be useful to others - but it is my honest response to the question posed.

This is the same for me. I felt like i lived in utter confusion until last December. I couldn't make sense of my existence whatever i tried until my autism realization and whilst life is still a struggle, i'm coping much better now and i'm no longer trying to work out what is wrong with me but focusing on what is right and what i'm good at

This is the same for me. I felt like i lived in utter confusion until last December. I couldn't make sense of my existence whatever i tried until my autism realization and whilst life is still a struggle, i'm coping much better now and i'm no longer trying to work out what is wrong with me but focusing on what is right and what i'm good at

Children
  • Still not weird Number. Don't label yourself, that's what society is for

• Nice to hang out with you Number. Thanks to you i have a rubber duck staring at me every time i go to the loo which reminds me of this place. It's a reassuring duck Slight smile

As Identity said on another thread this place is a haven and god have i needed it. Completely understand why folk take a break though especially if they've got other stuff that needs their attention. 

Glad you will be back though Slight smile

• especially at times of stress

I hope you are okay. Whenever I read one of your posts it’s always full of good advice, kindness and positivity, helping whoever you’re replying to. It’s important to look after yourself too. I hope unplugging for a bit gives you what you need :) 

• That's really nice.  Thanks for sharing.  And so "on point" with the last bit ;

i'm no longer trying to work out what is wrong with me but focusing on what is right and what i'm good at

Bang on brother, bang on.

I'm a bit older than you...I've had to drag myself and my world through bogs of unholy nonsense and cluster bangs over the last decade+ merely for me to just stagger over the "collapse line" and say "oh, thank God, I'm simply autistic."

The honeymoon is over for me now - it doesn't take too long to get over the fact that you are the same as you were before, but now you know why.  The very weird but real challenges still remain - right here and right now.  The world hasn't actually changed and nor have you.  Its just you know something important now.

I need to saddle up with my new life-changing knowledge and ride out afresh to both clear up the mess left behind "my old self" and forge a prosperous and happier path for "my new self."  Nothing will get done without me present and connected.

The challenge of my autism and co-morbidities make mounting a horse pretty flupping tricky these days........for instance ; the day in the life of Number today =

A confused perceptual happenstance occurred earlier today that is best described by the following images - the similarity of which I find interesting - not having ever consciously absorbed either;

This bizare happenstance / [AKA Number stupidity] has resulted in me listening to a Swede singing in both Icelandic and English language, lip-syned to a beautiful American.......with Will Ferrell playing on the piano and ocassionally yelling in the background......a song of 3 mins 29 sec length.....played on repeat for circa 5+ hours and counting.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't take it to the toilet with me nor impose it on communal eating....but all the other time - with simultaneously detailed work being achieved..........apart from all the time spent on here again today - I need to give this "time sink" a rest.

I don't have that luxury of time now and need to hunker down with some stuff.  Whilst I am autistic, my main downfall deficit is one of attention - especially at times of stress and ample distraction on here.

I'm going to unplug for a bit.  I will be back and I am grateful for the company from you Jamie, and the rest of our crewl.  I am so happy that a bunch of folk like us can hang like this.  Its so healthy.  Thank you.

I'm weird me.  I am Number.