Adult autistic son refuses to leave the house!

My son is 23 years old, diagnosed with autism aged 5. He had done well in a special primary school, struggled but got through secondary school. He was very stressed by school by the time he finished, he refused to do a preparatory course for college, I was happy to give him a break and for a while he kept up some hobbies and had no problem going outside. Sadly, the pandemic gave him the world exactly as he would like it to be, everything closed and no one coming to the house. It has really set him back, he now refuses to go anywhere. I am so worried for his future, what will happen to him and will he be looked after by social services should anything happen to me, my husband died suddenly two years ago. I cannot force my son to go out, he helps with house work a bit and plays video games and that's it, I am struggling.

Parents
  • I can relate I don’t leave the house the pandemic was the same for me peace and quiet lovely, you can shop online buy most things online, you can live without leaving the house. I have a counsellor she’s trying to encourage me to leave the house, but I had a stalker so it’s a mixture of both stalker and autism. Don’t go the meds route counselling doesn’t help. Give him time you may have to push his limits abit but slowly kind regards 

• I can relate I don’t leave the house the pandemic was the same for me peace and quiet lovely, you can shop online buy most things online, you can live without leaving the house. I have a counsellor she’s trying to encourage me to leave the house, but I had a stalker so it’s a mixture of both stalker and autism. Don’t go the meds route counselling doesn’t help. Give him time you may have to push his limits abit but slowly kind regards 

Children
No Data