Adult autistic son refuses to leave the house!

My son is 23 years old, diagnosed with autism aged 5. He had done well in a special primary school, struggled but got through secondary school. He was very stressed by school by the time he finished, he refused to do a preparatory course for college, I was happy to give him a break and for a while he kept up some hobbies and had no problem going outside. Sadly, the pandemic gave him the world exactly as he would like it to be, everything closed and no one coming to the house. It has really set him back, he now refuses to go anywhere. I am so worried for his future, what will happen to him and will he be looked after by social services should anything happen to me, my husband died suddenly two years ago. I cannot force my son to go out, he helps with house work a bit and plays video games and that's it, I am struggling.

Parents
  • Hi , Pleasure .

Don't you have someone who can help you communicate with him?
    Because it must be made to understand that it is wrong to do so.

He was able to get out of the house first.

Now he has learned a wrong way and uses it to never go out again.

I understand that, but I also understand your logical fears.

There are therapies that can help him think differently and learn social skills.

We start slowly but when we commit ourselves we do it with a lot of perseverance.

He's also of a suitable age to be able to tell him, but it's better to get help, he communicates in his own way.

In the meantime, try to tell him a few sentences about it and motivate him to leave the house, even if for a short time.

I have been Hikikomori and I know what happens if it gets worse.
  • Thank you for your comments, yes i have started to look for supports and spoke to the supervisor of the service he has today, i will meet with them this week and they will make a plan for him.

Reply Children
No Data