Adult autistic son refuses to leave the house!

My son is 23 years old, diagnosed with autism aged 5. He had done well in a special primary school, struggled but got through secondary school. He was very stressed by school by the time he finished, he refused to do a preparatory course for college, I was happy to give him a break and for a while he kept up some hobbies and had no problem going outside. Sadly, the pandemic gave him the world exactly as he would like it to be, everything closed and no one coming to the house. It has really set him back, he now refuses to go anywhere. I am so worried for his future, what will happen to him and will he be looked after by social services should anything happen to me, my husband died suddenly two years ago. I cannot force my son to go out, he helps with house work a bit and plays video games and that's it, I am struggling.

Parents
  • yeah alot end like that but eventually they progress in their own time, for me it took me until i was 32 lol so you may have a long wait...

he will play video games until he has exhausted all fun out of them and gets bored, he will think on life and realise how pointless it is and how impossible and stacked against him it is. he will eventually look for ways to exist, and the pieces may fall into place. its a long process to heal from both systematic abuse and then try and make life work when life is all about making it as impossible as it can be to pin us all down into poverty. i got lucky on investments which made me a lump sum and made it so i could see a path through work and so on. theres no hope in life, and he has to find that hope and see the possibilities... but yeah, life is set out to be dire and lacking of any hope so its no wonder none of us want to proceed with this system.

• yeah alot end like that but eventually they progress in their own time, for me it took me until i was 32 lol so you may have a long wait...

he will play video games until he has exhausted all fun out of them and gets bored, he will think on life and realise how pointless it is and how impossible and stacked against him it is. he will eventually look for ways to exist, and the pieces may fall into place. its a long process to heal from both systematic abuse and then try and make life work when life is all about making it as impossible as it can be to pin us all down into poverty. i got lucky on investments which made me a lump sum and made it so i could see a path through work and so on. theres no hope in life, and he has to find that hope and see the possibilities... but yeah, life is set out to be dire and lacking of any hope so its no wonder none of us want to proceed with this system.

Children