Bullies from the past.

Just interested if anyone else has met a person in adult life who bullied them at school.

My father ran a small coach business, the yard had an office and occasionally people would book a coach in person. One day I was on my own in the yard, I would have been about 35 then. One of the school bullies turned up to book a coach. He was one of the worst ones, anyway he greeted me like an old friend, it shocked me and I was like a rabbit in the headlights. He really was after ‘mates rates’,  I really didn’t know how to deal with him, had he forgotten or thought it was just a bit of fun, I couldn’t work it out, I started to wonder, did the years of abuse actually happen? But  they are too vivid, they did happen. Another thought was, he’s pushing me for a cheap price, is he trying to bully me again. I so wanted to ask him why he did it but couldn’t. My father luckily came back to the yard and dealt with his enquiry. 
Has anything similar happened to anyone else?

Parents
  • Not to me thankfully. I’m a lot stronger than I used to be and I don’t know if I’d be able to control my own actions. 

my school life was hell. Partly because I didn’t know anyone properly because I was moved schools. Also because I was the “weirdo”. I remember one day I was flung into the lockers, it happened so fast, then surrounded by 3 larger boys, I withdrew into a small gap between the lockers (natural instinct was to hide away from my violent father). I can remember seeing a crowd of people along the corridor and there must have been 100 other pupils just watching, no one helped and everyone left after it was over. I ran through the quiet corridors distraught with not anger and anxiety. I didn’t know what to do or where to go. Afterwards, I consoled myself and returned to class. I met my friends later on a break only to be asked why I was there, I said hanging out with my friends, they said what friends we don’t see any friends here. I could’ve ran all the way home but decided to keep a stiff upper lip (a stupid term used by the British to say carried on regardless), I replied with ok whatever and walked off.

• That's horrible. I've only ever been beaten up once. I was walking home from school aged about 15 and these boys from another school had singled me out as (I assume) a sectarian target. So, I'm about to turn the corner into my street and one of these chaps says to me 'Excuse me, have you got the time?' happy to oblige, I did the standard thing of lower my head, raise my wrist. And in that off-guard moment I was set upon, bundled across the street, and pummelled relentlessly. Thankfully the hedge I got thrown into was ludicrously overgrown (still is - I always give it a wee nod of thanks when passing)and it sort of absorbed me like Homer Simpson in that meme, shielding me from a worse battering. They scattered after about a minute. I never did mention it at home, not until many years later. It felt unseemly somehow. Not really sure why. You don't want an embarrassing fuss at that age especially I suppose.

• That's horrible. I've only ever been beaten up once.

I'm sorry that happened to you.

I was often attacked by the female bullies but one instance really stands out.

There was a group of them in the class coming up and thumping me on the back.

The teacher was unable to control them.

I lost my temper and basically threw a desk several feet across the classroom.

The teacher ran out of the class crying.

• Oh yours sounds way worse! I’m sorry you went through that. And as a regular thing too

• It only counts if you make them bleed, or lose face socially...

• Ah a fellow desk thrower. Though I admit I threw the desk because they were already throwing stuff at me, unfortunately a lot of bullies are like that they provoke and provoke and in the end they don't like it when you have to escalate the situation to get them to stop.
    It's good you stood up for yourself though, even if it was by drastic means. Sometimes we get left little choice in the matter.

Reply Children