Bullies from the past.

Just interested if anyone else has met a person in adult life who bullied them at school.

My father ran a small coach business, the yard had an office and occasionally people would book a coach in person. One day I was on my own in the yard, I would have been about 35 then. One of the school bullies turned up to book a coach. He was one of the worst ones, anyway he greeted me like an old friend, it shocked me and I was like a rabbit in the headlights. He really was after ‘mates rates’,  I really didn’t know how to deal with him, had he forgotten or thought it was just a bit of fun, I couldn’t work it out, I started to wonder, did the years of abuse actually happen? But  they are too vivid, they did happen. Another thought was, he’s pushing me for a cheap price, is he trying to bully me again. I so wanted to ask him why he did it but couldn’t. My father luckily came back to the yard and dealt with his enquiry. 
Has anything similar happened to anyone else?

• Yup, since leaving highschool I've had multiple occasions where people who bullied/harassed/or hurt me have tried talking to me as if they did nothing wrong. "No hard feelings", seems like a pretty rude thing to say when they were the one who hurt me.

• Well I can't speak for anyone else and I've never pretended to, and I only report things that break the rules of the forum so if you think I've been reporting you then that must mean either you got caught by the bot or you've actually broken a rule.
    If you don't like that the report button exists and think it's just a tool for an "agenda" take it up with the mods, but it exists for a reason. Things like Hate Speech isn't an opinion like "pineapple doesn't belong on pizza", and it isn't allowed on the forum for good reason, it's in the rules you and I agreed to when we signed up to the forum so if someone is reporting things that go against the rules for mod review it's legit use not "silencing". In fact this forum is privately run it isn't a public platform at all, there never was any "free speech" (that word doesn't mean what people think it means) here long before any of us joined so if you think people reporting rule breaking is having an agenda you need to go make your own site to complain about it on because your slander is stale, and you can consider this a cease and desist letter. It's not my fault you have a fabricated version of me living rent free in your head. Do not talk to me again, otherwise I will be forced to report you because this inability of yours to let these vivid imaginings go once politely corrected, and I have been nothing but polite til now, is now harassment.

• Ultimately the report function exists to prevent exposing further users to harmful content. If used correctly it does improve the quality of the forum.

But it hasn't been, has it?

Certain agenda driven people have been using it covertly to try and silence points of view to which they do not ascribe, I have it n good authority, and that information is backed up evidentially speaking the campaign of spurious accusations that was waged unsuccessfully against my own account some time ago..

So you'll understand why that trust will be difficult to rebuild.

I don't have any intention of trusting people who have proven themselves to go beyond simply finding a forum participants opinion incompatible to their own to pursuing a simultaneous overt and covert attack "at the drop of a hat" before even making sure of their grounds. Such people once they reveal themselves, are impossible to trust.

Those would-be "forum shapers" are quite poisonous initially, until everyone gets wise to who they are... 

The same people crop up in the workplace of course, and clubs and other human gatherings. Some of them can be quite useful after they calm down, I understand to the people who actually do run things, and sometimes they flounder, that depends on the overall quality of the society/forum/workplace. 

Here, they don't seem to last long or get much traction with their "power plays".

It's one of the things I really like about my fellow Autists, they usually have their heads quite well screwed on about the things that really matter. Not always, but usually.

• Those of you who engage in "forum warfare", (myself even, when I get sucked into it, however briefly) are not improving this place for everyone, no matter how good our intentions may be.

Ultimately the report function exists to prevent exposing further users to harmful content. If used correctly it does improve the quality of the forum.

It's a bit sad, and just causes ill feeling, but people insist on doing that stuff.

People also cause ill feeling by deliberately pointing the gun at others to falsely accuse them of doing so too. But myself, Debbie, and Shardovan, were merely speculating based on the possible pattern as at the time observable, it's others coming out of the woodwork afterwards as though their ears were burning that is suspicious. So you'll understand why that trust will be difficult to rebuild.

• Well, there is "tactical use " of the reporting feature going on, this is known by me to be a thing done by other people who wish to control what is and is not said. It's a bit sad, and just causes ill feeling, but people insist on doing that stuff.

But there also seems to be technical problems too, with a simple youtube link somehow automatically drawing three your post has been reported notifications seemingly Automatically.

Those of you who engage in "forum warfare", (myself even, when I get sucked into it, however briefly) are not improving this place for everyone, no matter how good our intentions may be.

• I had a bully-scumbag, come into my workplace with a group of drunkards, it 8pm at ASDA and I didn’t recognise him until I was surrounded. 
    I made a fist-bump motion after taking a moment to constitute my mask, and he punched my knuckles as hard as he could. But I’d finished freezing when I lifted my fist up.
    So I engulfed his face in my hand and repelled him backwards, I strode over to my manager to even-out the numbers, and the five of them ran out of the store.

You’d think that a 21 yr old would’ve grow up since 14, but people don’t change, you should’ve charged that guy triple..!

• Nope - that one is on me mate.  I am posting too much - not allowing my brain time to think.  I'll be cutting back my time in this place next week - I'm beginning to feel like a pest and busy body = I hate that feeling.

I am still pleased to see you back in any event - a distinctive name and lovely photo of you sitting on your grandpa's knee.  Lovely !

And yes - I am joking.

• It was an appropriate response to my not well explained post. Not nonsensical at all.

• I did wonder.......thank you for clarifying......and just ignore all my nonsense above......unless you do feel like learning a building trade.

• Apologies for not explaining things adequately enough . 'Bricks and mortar' as in 

brick-and-mortar

adjective

brick-and-mor·β€‹tar Λˆbrik-Ι™n(d)-ˈmΘ―r-tΙ™r 
    variants or bricks-and-mortar
    : relating to or being a traditional business serving customers in a building as contrasted to an online business
    a brick-and-mortar store
  • Odd isn't it Sperg, because you'd think the posts that have been going missing if reported in good faith would be in someway actually divisive, not stuff like "what's your fave TV show?"

• It does. 

Such people lie in wait and then leap out like a troll from under a bridge when they imagine you've said something with which they disagree. Then they run around reporting people to the mods and cause as much trouble as they can, over the most trivial stuff. 

In between complaining about, well, everything and everyone really.

Best avoided.

• Hello Firemonkey.

Nice to see you back.  FYI - If you can manage a "bricks and mortar" college course, I can assure you that it would bolster your "fragile self confidence, esteem and worth".......because the building industry is crying out for people with those skills at the moment.....NT Builders would love you and make allowances for you as well, I suspect (from what I gather of the building trade these days.)

Brick laying and helping on building sites is the type of activity that you can do on your own terms too...ie when you feel able to work, you work....when you don't feel able, you don't work.  You don't need to be able to compete with younger more experienced people - anyone who can do a trade....is welcome and respected...from what I can gather.

I'm not preaching here....you also talk of "avoidant".....and that is something I know extremely intimately !

It is good that you are now facilitated to talk about your school experiences....they can be unsavoury for many, so its good for you to let those demons out of your mind at this stage - I would imagine?

Best wishes

Number.

• I've talked online quite a lot about the bullying I was subjected to at boarding school,especially public school . I'd not discussed it much with any MH professional until recently. My care coordinator/depot nurse was quick to describe it as 'bullying related trauma' . Nearly 50 years on I still struggle with the effects re fragile self confidence,esteem, and worth . It's made me very avoidant re several attempts to persuade me to do a 'bricks and mortar' college course.

• I can understand you wanting to use strong language about those guys but there’s one word in there that’s generally seem these days as a derogatory term for Down Syndrome and I appreciate you may not know this (it’s a word that has had other more ‘nerdy’/anoracky nuances too so maybe that’s more what was in your head?) so it’s just to ask that you maybe consider jettisoning that one from the old vocabulary bank.

I wish I could say the same. In relation to your general point. My sort-of bully was and remains much better looking than me - but then so does just about anyone!- though he did have the kind of smug face that betrayed his narcissism and I’d rather have my Halloween mask features than his entitled sneer any day. 

• Oh yours sounds way worse! I’m sorry you went through that. And as a regular thing too

• It only counts if you make them bleed, or lose face socially...

• Ah a fellow desk thrower. Though I admit I threw the desk because they were already throwing stuff at me, unfortunately a lot of bullies are like that they provoke and provoke and in the end they don't like it when you have to escalate the situation to get them to stop.
    It's good you stood up for yourself though, even if it was by drastic means. Sometimes we get left little choice in the matter.