Do you work?

I was working in English, teaching writing to students and I had been doing this for a long time but had to cut down to part time because of autistic burnout and physical stress. I went to work before Xmas but left after an hour I couldn't cope and I've not been back since. I can't do work anymore it's like I get pulled under fierce waves in the dark and I can't breathe or see. My husband is supportive and has said to stay at home and go back when I'm ready but I don't want to quit in case I'm never ready to return to work. But I feel selfish for being like this because my husband has to deal with me.

I've had a couple of jobs working in shops and at a hospital but the experience haven't been good. I was hoping my teaching would be a good one and last but it looks like I've failed again. I have no idea how people keep their jobs without burning out. I cannot get the hang of it.

Parents
  • Hello. I am sorry you can’t cope with work anymore and you have struggled with autistic burnout. That must be really difficult for you. Please be kind to yourself, work is not suitable for everyone.

My husband is supportive and has said to stay at home and go back when I'm ready but I don't want to quit in case I'm never ready to return to work. But I feel selfish for being like this because my husband has to deal with

I understand your concerns about being selfish but you are just looking after yourself. It’s sounds like your husband understands your situation very well, so don’t put too much pressure on yourself.  

I am sure many other autistics on this forum will be able to relate to your situation. You are not alone.

• Hello. I am sorry you can’t cope with work anymore and you have struggled with autistic burnout. That must be really difficult for you. Please be kind to yourself, work is not suitable for everyone.

My husband is supportive and has said to stay at home and go back when I'm ready but I don't want to quit in case I'm never ready to return to work. But I feel selfish for being like this because my husband has to deal with

I understand your concerns about being selfish but you are just looking after yourself. It’s sounds like your husband understands your situation very well, so don’t put too much pressure on yourself.  

I am sure many other autistics on this forum will be able to relate to your situation. You are not alone.

Children
No Data