Confrontation

Does anyone else really fear confrontational situations? Like when you know you have to confront someone and tell them you are not happy about something and you know it will lead to an arguement. Especially at work but anywhere really

I am always so scared of confrontation. Also when I am in that situation I get tounge tied and lost for words, like everything I want to say goes out of my head and I end up making a mess of what Im saying

Does anyone else relate to this or have any tips of what to do and how to handle these situations? I have to have a confrontation with my consultant at my agency on Monday as I have found out they have been underpaying me for my job and lying to me about how much I should be paid. Its even harder cos he always acts so nice even though I know hes screwing me over. If people act nice, even if they aren't it makes me find confrontation even harder 

Parents
  • The kind of confrontation that could result in an argument is something I try to avoid. It's not so much that I get tongue-tied, but more the fact that I derive no pleasure from the draining effect that arguments can have on me. I also don't like being witness to confrontations between other people.

One thing that I can struggle with is text-based confrontation. My style of writing (or should I say typing) is to imagine that person is with me and I'm talking to them in a calm manner. The problem is that unless the other person knows me really well, they have no idea of the tone of voice I'm using when expressing myself in a text-based format. When the response I receive back makes it abundantly clear I have angered them, it can then have the effect of causing me to end up in a foul mood. Depending on what's been said, I can then find it difficult to refrain from projecting my frustration with their anger back at them.

• My style of writing (or should I say typing) is to imagine that person is with me and I'm talking to them in a calm manner.

Have you always thought of it like that? I like how you think of it Ive tried many time to think of something like that but could never put in 2 words. If get in 2 fight online I take a break from my screen for an hour and come back later when my head is clearer n im calmer.

• My style of writing (or should I say typing) is to imagine that person is with me and I'm talking to them in a calm manner.

Have you always thought of it like that? I like how you think of it Ive tried many time to think of something like that but could never put in 2 words. If get in 2 fight online I take a break from my screen for an hour and come back later when my head is clearer n im calmer.

Children
  • Have you always thought of it like that?

My style of writing has always been the same, ever since I was a young child, and was encouraged to write 'Thank you' letters. It wasn't something that I had given much thought to until relatives and friends began commenting on my writing style, and saying my correspondence with them made them feel like I was talking to them in person.

If get in 2 fight online I take a break from my screen for an hour and come back later when my head is clearer n im calmer.

It's not often that I end up in an online confrontation, but when I do I endeavour to do likewise. However, if I feel that someone has responded to me in a particularly aggressive and offensive manner, it can be just enough to make the red mist descend, instead of doing the mature thing of stepping away and responding after I've had time to calm down.