The Thinking Literally thread

Please feel free to list your experiences with literal thinking or related behaviours whenever you feel like it, and whether these are important or as typically ridiculous as my recent example:

* I ordered a 'personalised' t-shirt from Ebay, graced with the word 'AUTISTIC' in gigantic, glowing capital letters. Wearing this shirt, I thought, would save me the tedium of explaining my more unusual words or deeds to others whenever it might be necessary. Hooray! Alas, after receiving the shirt I realised that it's Winter & resultingly bloomin' freezing so it's likely that the shirt is now as useless as I habitually am. If I wear the neon monstrosity that is the shirt under an opened jacket, its essential message - which ludicrously dwarfs the famous HOLLYWOOD sign, such are my design-skills - will either be lost on the NT crowd, or else appear as some kind of short, ironic and post-sexist anagram. Doh.

Parents
  • I've already shared this on another thread, but I have got better at recognising sarcasm, but it all disappears when I am stressed. My wife invited a neighbour in at really short notice (panic stations!) several days ago when we were looking after the dog. The neighbour said something like, "I bet that you hate having to take her for walks and look after her!" (Can't remember exactly words). And I said, almost hurt for the dog, "No! I love it!".

It wasn't until she'd gone that I realised she was being sarcastic (in a friendly way) And I probably looked a little daft.

• I've already shared this on another thread, but I have got better at recognising sarcasm, but it all disappears when I am stressed. My wife invited a neighbour in at really short notice (panic stations!) several days ago when we were looking after the dog. The neighbour said something like, "I bet that you hate having to take her for walks and look after her!" (Can't remember exactly words). And I said, almost hurt for the dog, "No! I love it!".

It wasn't until she'd gone that I realised she was being sarcastic (in a friendly way) And I probably looked a little daft.

Children
No Data