The Thinking Literally thread

Please feel free to list your experiences with literal thinking or related behaviours whenever you feel like it, and whether these are important or as typically ridiculous as my recent example:

* I ordered a 'personalised' t-shirt from Ebay, graced with the word 'AUTISTIC' in gigantic, glowing capital letters. Wearing this shirt, I thought, would save me the tedium of explaining my more unusual words or deeds to others whenever it might be necessary. Hooray! Alas, after receiving the shirt I realised that it's Winter & resultingly bloomin' freezing so it's likely that the shirt is now as useless as I habitually am. If I wear the neon monstrosity that is the shirt under an opened jacket, its essential message - which ludicrously dwarfs the famous HOLLYWOOD sign, such are my design-skills - will either be lost on the NT crowd, or else appear as some kind of short, ironic and post-sexist anagram. Doh.

Parents
  • Your unfortunate word shortening thing is timely. I just finished watching a beautiful documentary (on a doctor who blu ray) about the life of the shows first script editor - an enigmatic man we now know a decent amount more about. 

anyway the presenter was Doctor who fan (and professional actor/comedian) Toby Hadoke who wore a succession of t shirts throughout with nice little bits of the show’s distant past on them. Including one with ‘I M Foreman: Scrap Merchants’ (the name of the junk yard the TARDIS is first seen in). But sitting there interviewing someone I got a bit distracted that his jacket and seating position took away the top part and shortened the second to… crap merch. Like a self reviewing piece of novelty menswear with low self esteem 

Reply Children
No Data