Is non- recoverable ASD burnout a real thing/risk

Hi,

50’s diagnosis in the acceptance phase. 

I’ve been reading about ASD burnout where it can be so bad it ends in selective mutism. I’m a relatively successful businessman and scared of this, my family would suffer as all the information is literally inside my head. I could/am put/putting systems in place (and currently in the process of this).

The downside of my ASD is I’m also incredibly high functioning and I’m not convinced anyone else would have the capacity to take over and cope even with systems in place. 

This is the scary part - I know I’m burning out and maybe have a few years left (weird I know this) before I crash and burn and will need to retire/part retire. 

How real is the risk of non returnable ASD burnout? The thought of hitting that at retirement (more like ASD enforced retirement) secretly fills me with joy and sadness. The joys would be the peace I’ve never had, the downside is not caring about my loved ones and significant others and I know I’d be selfish to protect myself - it actually brings me to tears when I think about this. us it a real risk or just non aspies research shite? Tia x

Parents
  • Thank you for this thread.

I'm not able to add anything with regard to 'non returnable' ASD burnout.

However, I've just looked at some information on this site, link below:

https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/professional-practice/autistic-burnout

I didn't understand the difference between 'burnout' and 'autistic burnout' but now I understand better.

With regard to my own life, I got to 60 without knowning that I was autistic, so my take on this is retrospective as my life now is much more under my control with far fewer stresses than when I was younger.

However, I do believe that I suffered from burnout several times during my life, mainly caused by finances, jobs, relationships and care responsibilities.

I did recover but probably found these experiences quite cathartic.

The joys would be the peace I’ve never had, the downside is not caring about my loved ones and significant others and I know I’d be selfish to protect myself

If you are able to achieve a balance that would be best.

You absolutely have to look after yourself (something I always found hard to do, and still do) and it wouldn't be 'selfish' to do so, in my view.

What would be the consequences of early retirement for you?  Would your ship sink or can modifications be made in yours and your loved ones lifestyles?

I wish you all the very best.

• Thank you for this thread.

I'm not able to add anything with regard to 'non returnable' ASD burnout.

However, I've just looked at some information on this site, link below:

https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/professional-practice/autistic-burnout

I didn't understand the difference between 'burnout' and 'autistic burnout' but now I understand better.

With regard to my own life, I got to 60 without knowning that I was autistic, so my take on this is retrospective as my life now is much more under my control with far fewer stresses than when I was younger.

However, I do believe that I suffered from burnout several times during my life, mainly caused by finances, jobs, relationships and care responsibilities.

I did recover but probably found these experiences quite cathartic.

The joys would be the peace I’ve never had, the downside is not caring about my loved ones and significant others and I know I’d be selfish to protect myself

If you are able to achieve a balance that would be best.

You absolutely have to look after yourself (something I always found hard to do, and still do) and it wouldn't be 'selfish' to do so, in my view.

What would be the consequences of early retirement for you?  Would your ship sink or can modifications be made in yours and your loved ones lifestyles?

I wish you all the very best.

Children
No Data