Is non- recoverable ASD burnout a real thing/risk

Hi,

50’s diagnosis in the acceptance phase. 

I’ve been reading about ASD burnout where it can be so bad it ends in selective mutism. I’m a relatively successful businessman and scared of this, my family would suffer as all the information is literally inside my head. I could/am put/putting systems in place (and currently in the process of this).

The downside of my ASD is I’m also incredibly high functioning and I’m not convinced anyone else would have the capacity to take over and cope even with systems in place. 

This is the scary part - I know I’m burning out and maybe have a few years left (weird I know this) before I crash and burn and will need to retire/part retire. 

How real is the risk of non returnable ASD burnout? The thought of hitting that at retirement (more like ASD enforced retirement) secretly fills me with joy and sadness. The joys would be the peace I’ve never had, the downside is not caring about my loved ones and significant others and I know I’d be selfish to protect myself - it actually brings me to tears when I think about this. us it a real risk or just non aspies research shite? Tia x

• That’s a lovely post, because like you, I learn a lot from others experiences and perspectives. But I especially want to say something about your dad and update you on my progress, but I can’t finish it now, so I’ll finish it either tomorrow or the next day. Thanks, it was very clear, helpful and inspiring. 

Wow, you've been through a lot.  It's great to hear that everything is much better now that you are able to think of what you need to move towards semi retirement. :-)

Well said! I now, don't risk it and am in a much happier place trying to please me and not society. :-)

• I had a massive burnout in 2020, and have only just recovered. In late 2019 i self discovered my ASD. Went to my GP who refered me for assment (still waiting!). That was February, then Covid happened. In April my dad died of Covid leaving me to do all the arangements and deal with the care needs of my mum. Thankfully I was on furlough otherwise I probably would have never come back. It all just totally broke me, too much change and too much responsibility, I can just about look after myself. I can remember around October 2020 I want back to work and had a as$h0le moan at me in a car park for parking too close and I totally lost it once out of sight. I felt the whole world was just being nasty to me, nobody cared. Only my wife was there for me , but even they we had big money problems. It was a very slow progress but an ease back into work in 2021 helped alot. Earlier this year I was made redundant. Got a job straight away but hated it and found the strength to quit after 8 weeks. That was a big thing for me and did my confidence a massive boost. 

I think if I had been working at the time I would have not come back. However I also have something massive driving me that tell me how I must be 'normal'. Theat just wont quit. I lost my mum in November and that was a massive release becuase I was nolonger responsable for anybody but me. I was am now back to where I was in 2019 except I am stronger. I am also working towards semi retirement, it is good to have a target and i can't wait.

• I do think recovery is possible for burnout if you know yourself well enough, have the strength to fight it and are able to build some type of support system however that looks.

I do agree - IF you know yourself well enough and IF you have some strength left and IF you have some support from elsewhere too.  In short, it is an "iffy" proposition.

I would very strongly urge anyone who feels that they might be at risk of a major burnout............DON'T RISK IT.

This post and the supportive comments have lead me to understand more about myself and my Dad.  I do think that Autistic burnout and non Autistic burnout are very real and terrifying for the person and the people around who care.

I've realised from reading this thread and previous ones that my Dad, brother and myself all have experienced Autistic burnout because I see clearly that we are all Autistic.  I used to go through a work/ill cycle constantly where I'd get a job because I'm good at interviews, do the job for roughly 3/6/8 months then be in a state of constant panic/crying attacks when going to work that I'd have to give up.  It would take me an equal amount of time to recover where I then decided I'd try again to work and so the cycle continued.  When I had my daughter I worked part time and was constantly anxious and on meds which numbed me but didn't help.  I was very ill but trying to continue.  My brother has been similar with jobs but seems to settle for longer and has had his current job for a few years now.  He uses his weekends to recover by playing in his band which works for him but he's knackered after a day working.

My Dad was a teacher and had a "breakdown" where he was hospitalised for 6 months and given ECT in a psych unit where he seemed to recover.  He took early retirement but had regular admissions to hospital which I don't think were bipolar.  I think they were all burnouts from masking as I saw how happy he was when he was acting "weird again" as my Mum put it.  There wasn't the knowledge there is now about mental health and Autism.  It was a vastly different society back then so my Dad would never have been diagnosed.  I now see this is why his medication never worked and it enrages me to think that he was medicated for something I believe he as not.  I think that had he been in hospital without ECT he would have naturally recovered.  I think he learnt to mask his "weirdness" because it was considered "not normal."  I loved his weirdness because I understood it and felt close to him in those moments.  I hate that he and our family went through this and I am glad that there is more knowledge in society now because my daughter and I are considerably less masked up (not in a covid sense :-) than my Dad was).

I do think recovery is possible for burnout if you know yourself well enough, have the strength to fight it and are able to build some type of support system however that looks.

I'm glad things are getting better for you and that you are building your own support network who knows the real you.

• Golly....quite a journey you describe!  Never say never though.  I commend your decisiveness in regard to your self-preservation, but also recommend that you maintain plasticity of purpose?!

Welcome to this place.  I hope you find connection and comfort here.

• I have been in an autistic burnout for the past 6 years. I was diagnosed with autism 5 years ago and adhd a year ago. 

I had my first autistic burnout at 18 months old and was hospitalised in an isolation room for 3 weeks with no treatment of any kind, then after 3 weeks of isolation I ‘mysteriously recovered’, and looking back on my life, that was the first of many burnouts throughout my life. Although I became excellent at masking and getting through life.

However, over the last 16 years, the burnouts became more frequent, lasted longer and the come back period seemed to get harder. And in the last 6 years, I lost the ability to function to any reasonable degree at all. I lost my memory to the degree I forgot how to eat and lost my ability to communicate other than to put on a mask when faced with people (this was feeble but automatic after years of practice and because I rarely saw anybody, it kept my family from asking too many questions that I couldn’t answer and was just enough to enable me to keep on hiding until I figured out what was happening to me. I thought I would never recover, even with lots of support from autism plus and other places, until a few weeks ago. 

A few weeks ago, my 34 year old son broke up with his partner and came to stay with me for a while, and this turned out to be the thing that finally turned my life around.

I usually live by myself and when my son came to stay, I was unable to hide from the fact and was face to face with the fact, that I could never recover from this burnout and become anything like the person I have been for the past 55 years. I realised the game was over and there was nothing I could do about that. For whatever reason, there was no one at fault or to blame here, it was too late in the day for that, because it was over.

I haven’t seen any of my family over Christmas; my son hasn’t spoke to me since he walked out of my house in a rage at me over a week ago, I spoke to my mum on Christmas Eve and that’s it. I phoned to tell her to have a nice Christmas and to not worry about me, even though they have excluded me from their Christmas, because I’m done with their non-acceptance of me/autism, and I’m turning things around and so I told her to enjoy her Christmas because I was going to enjoy mine.

And I did. I lost my whole family in one go, but I gained my life, and I honestly had the best Christmas I’ve ever had in my life. Of course I am still working through the sorrow and the loss of the illusion that was my life, but already things are looking up and I’ll be starting this coming year off from a good place instead of one of recovering from the hell of Christmas, that I endured every year because I thought that because I was with my family, things were ok, but I failed to see the damage their response to me had on me, and as such I failed to see how much I allowed people to abuse me over the years. It all makes sense now.

But really, what I have lost is my attachment to the myth of ‘the family’, which means that instead of always putting the needs of my family first, I can now begin to put my needs first, because I also lost the ability to allow myself to go un-noticed and I lost the ability to pass my needs off as me being awkward or whatever, so others feel more comfortable, and instead I’m recognising and acknowledging my needs and setting myself up/setting my environment and routines up in a way that supports me, and I’m growing a network of friends or people that accept me and my differences and work with me, so I can offer my unique gifts to the world and be a member of society like everybody else, albeit in my way, that will look different to the way that a non autistic person’s life looks.

So I think recovery from burn out’s,  all depends on each person’s personal circumstances, which I think is often marked by how much support a person has from family and friends, and for me, my autistic and adhd needs were never fully recognised or met so a toxic pattern was set up that I was unable to break, until I finally burned out to the degree I couldn’t recover, and my only choice then was to die or begin to live as me, because after all, what have I now got to loose after loosing not only my former idea of who I was and my former life/lifestyle, work etc, but also my whole family. I was living to an invisible imbedded rule of always putting my family and others first, that I had to be forced into total breakdown before I could begin to see that I was worthy of having my needs met as well, regardless of how different they might be to others and regardless of who else can or can’t accept them, because I realised, if I don’t recognise and accept my needs, nobody else will and we all have fundamental needs that have to be met for us to thrive. So my burnout was non-returnable in one sense, but in another, it returned to me my real, unmasked self and a chance to live a full life, which doesn’t include trying to fit in and live and look like a neurotypical person, which was taking more from me than I ever really realised and that’s when it culminated in a non-returnable burnout, which has been heart wrenching beyond belief at times, but getting through to the other side, has all but wiped away all  that heartache, and enables me to finally live according to truth and authenticity, which is priceless to a person that values truth above societal norms.

• There is less mystery to our past and more clarity.

Absolutely !

Ben

• I know now that this was a total meltdown followed by a shutdown, or burnout.

Whatever age we get our diagnosis, it's good to have a context for past experiences, such as this.

There is less mystery to our past and more clarity.

• Many years ago, I had a 'nervous breakdwon' and my GP was called out as it was clear I desperately needed help. He recorded this in my medical records as  'anxiety state reality' .

I know now that this was a total meltdown followed by a shutdown, or burnout.  This was twenty seven years before my ASD was recognised ... I was aged 40. The term 'mid-life crisis' was also bandied about.

Ben

• Hi, I don’t know if burnouts can be permanent, it tends to be the brain just protecting itself. To put it in my trade terms , I work on cars, if a sensor or any part of the engine fails it goes into limp home mode, the engine will have basic function and work at a much reduced capacity until the fault is repaired. I am 55 and went into a burnout not long after a realised I’m autistic. A year later I am starting to come out of it. I lost interest in everything and was just stuck in limp home mode, I’m self employed but luckily my wife works full time. What I have done is to not take on so much work and I have stopped people just turning up at my workshop, trying to communicate with people when they randomly arrived was too much. I restore classic cars mainly so I lock the gates now and work alone. Trying to process a whole life through the eyes of an autistic person was too much, my brain shutdown to give it time to process everything and repair itself. I now have the family house for sale and we  plan to start a new  life in Cornwall with no mortgage and less stress. My advice is to take on less. I know it’s easy to say but you can see what is going to happen otherwise.

• In some respects, I am very lucky to have had my burnout / neverous breakdown........the upside was self-realisation.  A true blessing and gift some anyone who has been asking "WHY" of themselves all of their life.

Yes.  I used the term 'cathartic' above but I also believe my experiences (which were very serious at least every decade of my adult life) led to transformation.

• Almost certainly in my opinion.  Moreover, I would go (tentatively) further and report that, from my perspective, I can wholly believe that many of those reasonably happy and stable looking people who mysteriously seem to commit suicide without friends or family or colleagues having the slightest clue as to why......possibly, are people who have failed to recognise their own autism and the life they are experiencing has reached a point where there seems no other "logical" path.  Sad but true I think.

In some respects, I am very lucky to have had my burnout / neverous breakdown........the upside was self-realisation.  A true blessing and gift some anyone who has been asking "WHY" of themselves all of their life.

• This thread, as with many on here, has got my little brain ticking over.

We used to talk about a 'nervous breakdown'.

It's a term that I believe is not in fashion these days but I wonder whether autistic burnout was labelled as such in the past.

• My personal opinion is that the brain/mind is plastic, even the autistic version, and that very little is irrecoverable from, given time. Also some types of work-related stress are more damaging than others. For 24 years I was a full-time research scientist; producing results, coping with the inevitable failures, writing grant proposals etc. is stressful. I could have coped with that stress until I was 65 or older, quite easily. However, the grant money finally failed to be renewed - not that our performance or output dipped at all - so I moved sideways into managing scientific facilities in a research institute. The stress of providing services for many people and dealing with other people's problems was a type of stress that I found much more erosive of my mental wellbeing. As a result, when offered early retirement at 59, I took it without a second thought.

• Thank you for this thread.

I'm not able to add anything with regard to 'non returnable' ASD burnout.

However, I've just looked at some information on this site, link below:

https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/professional-practice/autistic-burnout

I didn't understand the difference between 'burnout' and 'autistic burnout' but now I understand better.

With regard to my own life, I got to 60 without knowning that I was autistic, so my take on this is retrospective as my life now is much more under my control with far fewer stresses than when I was younger.

However, I do believe that I suffered from burnout several times during my life, mainly caused by finances, jobs, relationships and care responsibilities.

I did recover but probably found these experiences quite cathartic.

The joys would be the peace I’ve never had, the downside is not caring about my loved ones and significant others and I know I’d be selfish to protect myself

If you are able to achieve a balance that would be best.

You absolutely have to look after yourself (something I always found hard to do, and still do) and it wouldn't be 'selfish' to do so, in my view.

What would be the consequences of early retirement for you?  Would your ship sink or can modifications be made in yours and your loved ones lifestyles?

I wish you all the very best.

• Don't keep going until you go B O O M !

You are in a good position because you know what you are and always have been.  I did not, so tried to "power through.". Bad mistake...HUGE.

And to answer your question.....Catastrophic burnout IS defo a real thing.

Wishing you a peaceful and reflective day.

x

PS....And for the avoidance of doubt, my reference to "burnout" above should have been more accurately described as "autistic burnout.". Thanks to Debbie for the prompt on that.  It's real.  I lost at least half a decade and many, many zeros as a result!

• Thank you. I do tend to accept anecdotal evidence over research when looking for a pov of an actual aspie. Research seems to concentrate on NT’s learning about ‘handling us’ rather than helping us. 
    And I’m glad you’re in a better place, I hope I can balance my aspie burnout with my workaholic issues.