Is non- recoverable ASD burnout a real thing/risk

Hi,

50’s diagnosis in the acceptance phase. 

I’ve been reading about ASD burnout where it can be so bad it ends in selective mutism. I’m a relatively successful businessman and scared of this, my family would suffer as all the information is literally inside my head. I could/am put/putting systems in place (and currently in the process of this).

The downside of my ASD is I’m also incredibly high functioning and I’m not convinced anyone else would have the capacity to take over and cope even with systems in place. 

This is the scary part - I know I’m burning out and maybe have a few years left (weird I know this) before I crash and burn and will need to retire/part retire. 

How real is the risk of non returnable ASD burnout? The thought of hitting that at retirement (more like ASD enforced retirement) secretly fills me with joy and sadness. The joys would be the peace I’ve never had, the downside is not caring about my loved ones and significant others and I know I’d be selfish to protect myself - it actually brings me to tears when I think about this. us it a real risk or just non aspies research shite? Tia x

Parents
  • If it helps? I was in a similar situation and retired at 60 (now 66) mainly because the world was catching up with my autism and as much as it was a huge decision it was, in hindsight, a good decision. I have done some selective work since then (mergers and acquisitions) on my terms. I have now more or less stopped work completely and concentrate on my charity work, which I love. 
    My finely tuned ability to mask was eventually debilitating! completely exhausting. With the brilliant support of my family and one friend I am now in a much better place. 
    Was I heading to ASD burnout? most likely, do I still have demons and challenges? you betcha I do? am I happy? Indeed I am and still trying to find that elusive perfect balance. Best wishes to you on your quest and kindest regards. 

• Thank you. I do tend to accept anecdotal evidence over research when looking for a pov of an actual aspie. Research seems to concentrate on NT’s learning about ‘handling us’ rather than helping us. 
    And I’m glad you’re in a better place, I hope I can balance my aspie burnout with my workaholic issues. 

• Thank you. I do tend to accept anecdotal evidence over research when looking for a pov of an actual aspie. Research seems to concentrate on NT’s learning about ‘handling us’ rather than helping us. 
    And I’m glad you’re in a better place, I hope I can balance my aspie burnout with my workaholic issues. 

Children
No Data