What defines your autism?

There's another question that sprang to mind this morning.

What defines your autism?

I have noticed that most of the posts on the forum appear to be about our vulnerabilities.

So, is our autism defined by our vulnerabilities?

Certainly the sensitivities and communication difficulties can make us more vulnerable to stress and isolation.

Any positives anyone?

I'm still thinking about that one.

There is a lot of food for thought once we have obtained recognition either personally or professionally.

Parents
  • "What defines my autism?"

My inability to recognise irony --- a large part of British humour, my inability to take myself and life itself less seriously.  My inability to decode and respond to interactive signals. I struggle with empathy yet "ironically" am tuned into the wants and needs of my dog and with animals in general. I put that down to having developed my own people auto-filter if I detect rejection of any sort. (Very self-defeating)

• Good morning chap.  I do consider my ability to communicate with animals one of my super powers.  I much prefer the company of a dog to that of a human.  I prefer to meet a random horse or cow on a walk rather than a fellow human because I can understand the former species (and vise versa) more reliably and with greater reciprocal benefit in 9/10 cases.

Unlike you, irony poses no challenge to me......but decoding and APPROPRIATELY responding to interactive signals is, and always has been, a fraught issue for me.  I struggle with the fact that honesty and directness is invariably frowned up.

Perhaps I should move to the Big Apple (and yes, I'm being ironic!)

• Good morning, I echo your take with a preference for the company of animals.  Despite your irony NYC is probably the worst move you could make. The majority of people there --to my experience--put on a facade.  It's an unforgiving city that one needs fortitude and courage to take a first bite, as it will bite back. It is a "black hole" city with a huge pull for ambitious people who gravitate to it, most of whom let nothing stand in their way.  It's certainly not a place for wimps.

• Good morning, I echo your take with a preference for the company of animals.  Despite your irony NYC is probably the worst move you could make. The majority of people there --to my experience--put on a facade.  It's an unforgiving city that one needs fortitude and courage to take a first bite, as it will bite back. It is a "black hole" city with a huge pull for ambitious people who gravitate to it, most of whom let nothing stand in their way.  It's certainly not a place for wimps.

Children
  • Life really had some twists and turns for me. I can remember in my youth on my return to NYC after a four-year absence serving overseas in the Air Force how lucky I initially felt to be back again. No place like home, but something was different.  Maybe it was me who changed but something wasn't quite right. Memories of my inward thinking ---"there is nowhere else I would rather be" --- were banished.  I then understood why my older brother chose to leave the city for his work-related travels and never to return. I believe he too was an aspie but unlike myself he recognised marriage was not compatible for him and remained a bachelor. I'm waffling off-piste which brings me back to the point of how some past radical choices had such a dramatic effect on my life.

• Indeed.  I did have the privilege to visit NYC when I was flying high like Sinatra.  I loved it, but within the context of a lived experience, rather than feeling it was my kinda place.