Female, diagnosed at 60

Are there any other people out there diagnosed late in life?

How has it affected your perception of yourself and the life you've led?

My ASD diagnosis has made me feel a lot calmer, and that my likes and dislikes have a justification.

It's also put many of my life experiences and difficulties into a context.

I now know why I have seemed different all my life, with the exception of a few people I know who are maybe odder than me ..

Parents
  • Welcome.  There are loads of late diagnosed 40s  & 50s around these pages.   It's interesting that you chose the word "calmer" as your first adjective to describe how you feel.......that has been my most pronounced tangible reaction too.  Please stick around - its so comforting to hear such familiar experiences and thoughts (and modes of thinking) that are in tune with my own.  I've never enjoyed this privilege before, of knowing I am not alone in my difference.

• Thank you. 

I love your last line.  It speaks volumes.

Reply Children
  • Very interesting analysis.

It's been lovely to have met you too.

• I'm definitely not female, but my masking ability is akin to the mythical heights associated with older females.  I think ASD people with extremely high competency in this trait / ability are the ones who either jump off a bridge (when no one remaining has the slightest clue why that person did that) - or eventually burn-out/melt-down (my sorry story) - or stumble on their true reality by some prior means and managed to get a diagnosis - or at least an identification.  The horror stories of mis-diagnosis and pharma interventions also litter the pathway and are well represented on these pages if you look.  I have my suspicions that a few, very lucky humans, live a perfectly happy life never knowing and/or caring.  We live in a strange reality these days - but most wonderful in many ways - especially with a new-found ASD self awareness of past and present.

It all bodes well for our future.  Pleasing.

It's been lovely to chat.....but work needs attention now.......I'm sure we will cross on other discussions if you choose to stick around.

Lovely to have met you.

• That's good to know.

It's such a pity that so many people remain undiagnosed for various reasons, including the NHS not really coping but also, with regard to females, lack of recognition by contacts (and themselves) that they might be on the spectrum.

• In addition to the hoi polloi of generally good natured questioning, opinion, advice and chat, I that found that this place is also perused by some very interesting wizards and witches of wisdom - extremely well read, experienced and kindly with their advice and opinions.  Fabulous!