Female, diagnosed at 60

Are there any other people out there diagnosed late in life?

How has it affected your perception of yourself and the life you've led?

My ASD diagnosis has made me feel a lot calmer, and that my likes and dislikes have a justification.

It's also put many of my life experiences and difficulties into a context.

I now know why I have seemed different all my life, with the exception of a few people I know who are maybe odder than me ..

Parents
  • Welcome.  There are loads of late diagnosed 40s  & 50s around these pages.   It's interesting that you chose the word "calmer" as your first adjective to describe how you feel.......that has been my most pronounced tangible reaction too.  Please stick around - its so comforting to hear such familiar experiences and thoughts (and modes of thinking) that are in tune with my own.  I've never enjoyed this privilege before, of knowing I am not alone in my difference.

• Welcome.  There are loads of late diagnosed 40s  & 50s around these pages.   It's interesting that you chose the word "calmer" as your first adjective to describe how you feel.......that has been my most pronounced tangible reaction too.  Please stick around - its so comforting to hear such familiar experiences and thoughts (and modes of thinking) that are in tune with my own.  I've never enjoyed this privilege before, of knowing I am not alone in my difference.

Children