Newly Diagnosed

I've been recently diagnosed with Autism, I also have CPTSD, Anxiety and Depression so I'm feeling a little bit unsure of myself. I'm not sure how I should be feeling, how I should act or react to things.  This is all rather new for me, even though I have a son with mild Autism. I'm not sure where I am on the spectrum yet but I like to do things a certain way, I like my routine and I like to know what is happening and when. 

I hope I can make new friends here and if possible meet up for chats etc. 

Parents
  • Congratulations on the autism diagnosis.  It may well feel all rather bewildering now, but as you learn to understand it and how it affects you, you will also hopefully see a way forward to dealing with the anxiety and depression.  You'll see better what is lying behind those and better ways of coping; it's not the same for us as NTs dealing with anxiety, necessarily.

I'd recommend reading some biographies of other autistic people.  There are some well written and enjoyable ones out there.  They might also help you recognise that you are not alone.

• Congratulations on the autism diagnosis.  It may well feel all rather bewildering now, but as you learn to understand it and how it affects you, you will also hopefully see a way forward to dealing with the anxiety and depression.  You'll see better what is lying behind those and better ways of coping; it's not the same for us as NTs dealing with anxiety, necessarily.

I'd recommend reading some biographies of other autistic people.  There are some well written and enjoyable ones out there.  They might also help you recognise that you are not alone.

Children
  • Hi there, I recently purchased this book -  The Independent woman's handbook for super safe ling on the Autistic Spectrum by Robyn Steward. It's really good and easy to understand. Full of useful tips on how to deal with certain situations. In time I may purchase more.