Newly Diagnosed

I've been recently diagnosed with Autism, I also have CPTSD, Anxiety and Depression so I'm feeling a little bit unsure of myself. I'm not sure how I should be feeling, how I should act or react to things.  This is all rather new for me, even though I have a son with mild Autism. I'm not sure where I am on the spectrum yet but I like to do things a certain way, I like my routine and I like to know what is happening and when. 

I hope I can make new friends here and if possible meet up for chats etc. 

• Welcome and congratulations on your diagnosis. We're all in our unique little corners of the Spectrum I guess.

• Likewise, diagnosed a couple of months ago after turning 40. Crazy how you just start thinking you know what life has been and then this sort of flips everything somewhat, whilst everything around you stays the same

It's just the lens we look though that is different, perhaps the world Jas been reframed

• Hello, I was diagnosed with autism last month at the age of almost 41. I have personally taken it quite well because it has meant that I can make sense of a lot of things in my life that I previously couldn't explain. It has helped me to understand myself so much better than I ever have. 

I also suffer from depression and anxiety so I do get that your head can be muddled and it can be difficult to piece everything together. Take your time, focus on your well-being first of all.

The professional I spoke to said that they no longer place people on a specific part of the spectrum. The spectrum is so wide and varied that and everyone truly is unique. She said that under the old terminology I would have been classed as having Asperger's but now it's simply diagnosed as ASD. 

You're not alone and I am sure that many people here will support you. I am new to this community too. 

Good luck with everything! 

• Hi Sarah nice to meet you, I'm Sam, recently diagnosed too always known I'm autistic but had to go through many appointments  referrals and diagnosis to get here, don't  try and force yourself to feel anything is my only advise, roll with what you're feeling try not to suppress it, give yourself some time

I don't know too and I think that's okay neourdivergent.

My eldest son is adhd and my second youngest is autistic too. Wherever you're on the spectrum you're on it I guess. Read lots on autism try and see wgat is relatable to you. 

• It helps me to build a pattern a lot faster if I know 'why'. Sort of seeing an order during hurricane

Most popular question I asked as a kid, though not many people bother to answer usually, I reckon simply because they do not know

• I did, not sure why though. I guess knowing why things are happening also helps to understand  what is happening and when.

• welcome

I like my routine and I like to know what is happening and when. 

you forgot about 'why' Stuck out tongue

• Just let it simmer there for a while. Time really helps. You don't need to tell anyone until you are ready (I still haven't in 2 months since I was diagnosed) so just wake up everyday, continue as normal,.and be patient with yourself. It gets easier and more acceptable as it goes on

You now have a tribe, we are out there, having the same challenges as you Slight smile

• Hi there, I recently purchased this book -  The Independent woman's handbook for super safe ling on the Autistic Spectrum by Robyn Steward. It's really good and easy to understand. Full of useful tips on how to deal with certain situations. In time I may purchase more. 

• Congratulations on the autism diagnosis.  It may well feel all rather bewildering now, but as you learn to understand it and how it affects you, you will also hopefully see a way forward to dealing with the anxiety and depression.  You'll see better what is lying behind those and better ways of coping; it's not the same for us as NTs dealing with anxiety, necessarily.

I'd recommend reading some biographies of other autistic people.  There are some well written and enjoyable ones out there.  They might also help you recognise that you are not alone.

• Welcome! Glad you have received a diagnosis and are working through the information. It's a lot to take in even though you've probably always been that way.

I think I have Autism Classic© my wife is definitely Autism Lite©. (Sorry, I think I'm the only person who finds that funny!)

• Congrats on the diagnosis, it can take time to settle so you don't question yourself or how you should feel, the best way forward is acceptance and let go of feeling you need to be a particular way.  Things like CPTSD and anxiety can reduce when we don't agitate our brains about ourselves or things we can't control.