Pre-diagnosis

So I had a pre-diagnosis assessment recently which I found really interesting and answered a lot of questions. It turns out it’s autism and adhd. I’d never really contemplated adhd before but now everything makes a lot more sense. I joined here a while ago but haven’t really participated as I felt like a bit of a fraud as I don’t yet have a formal diagnosis, and I’m still not sure if I should feel that way until properly diagnosed… I do a lot of reading in forums but very rarely participate anyway as I find it really hard if I don’t get any replies. I guess I’m not alone in that.

Has anyone else been surprised by being told adhd as well as autism too? This is all coming to light late in life, I haven’t exactly managed everything well up until this point. I’m wondering it would have made any difference if I’d known when I was younger. 

Parents
  • I can’t comment on the adhd side of things, only the autism side. But the bit that I wanted to jump in on is the feeling like a fraud/waiting for a formal diagnosis before joining in on here. I was exactly the same and only joined in after my diagnosis. I wish I hadn’t waited. Lots of people on here are awaiting a diagnosis, or are self diagnosed (perfectly valid). This is such a helpful community, so please do feel free to join in- I’ve found it to be both welcoming and helpful.

• Thanks Coffee Guy. I guess I’m desperate to find somewhere I fit in, and apart from not knowing how or where to do that, or if I have anything of interest to say (I either have very little to say as my mind goes blank or I over talk and interrupt and talk about myself far too much!), I think I need it confirmed somehow, even though it’s incredibly obvious to myself. There’s also that worry that it’s ‘fashionable’ at the moment to have any of these labels - though I think that says more about the very few people I know (or how I think they will react), and that someone/anyone may look at me and roll their eyes and think oh she’s one of them or attention seeking. In reality I’d rather not have any of the issues I have in life and as much as the whole thing is starting to feel like a bit of a relief that I’m now finding out what the issue is, I’m also a bit angry and feel it’s unfair. 

Sorry, bit of a mind dump there! 

• Thanks Coffee Guy. I guess I’m desperate to find somewhere I fit in, and apart from not knowing how or where to do that, or if I have anything of interest to say (I either have very little to say as my mind goes blank or I over talk and interrupt and talk about myself far too much!), I think I need it confirmed somehow, even though it’s incredibly obvious to myself. There’s also that worry that it’s ‘fashionable’ at the moment to have any of these labels - though I think that says more about the very few people I know (or how I think they will react), and that someone/anyone may look at me and roll their eyes and think oh she’s one of them or attention seeking. In reality I’d rather not have any of the issues I have in life and as much as the whole thing is starting to feel like a bit of a relief that I’m now finding out what the issue is, I’m also a bit angry and feel it’s unfair. 

Sorry, bit of a mind dump there! 

Children
No Data