Moving houses

Hello everyone, 

My name is Emily and I’m really struggling with moving houses. I’m 21 years old and I still live with my parents and as of yesterday they bought a new house. This was just sprung on me out of nowhere and now they are trying to sell my childhood home that I have lived in since I was born. I really want to be happy for them but deep down I’m really not, I really struggle with change and letting go of things and I really don’t know how to cope and let go (even though I don’t want to). Everyone keeps telling me it’s going to be fine and that’s it’s a new adventure but to me it feels like the world crashing down on me and that advice only makes me stress more.

My life feels like it’s flipped upside down… I just recently got a new job that I’ve been extremely stressed about and now with the stress of moving I’m really having a tough time. Does anyone have any similar experiences? or ways of coping with this? it would be really helpful to hear.

thank you in advance! 

Parents
  • I get it. They don't understand. What makes a house a home?

• Birthday parties.
    • Friends sat on the sofa with you watching dvds.
    • The people who've shared your bed, shared your table, shared your food.
    • The games you've played with outers, the music you listened to with them.
    • The dreadful nights you needed some one to talk to and they stayed up to talk with you or just keep you distracted.

They don't understand that as children you have a home made for you by your parents, your family. Even after those times are gone the memories remain, the home remains. As an adult moving into a new house they assume all this will happen for you. But for autistic people it often doesn't. So often we don't get homes, just houses, empty rooms filled with our stuff but not other people we care about. Our houses never become homes.

• I get it. They don't understand. What makes a house a home?

• Birthday parties.
    • Friends sat on the sofa with you watching dvds.
    • The people who've shared your bed, shared your table, shared your food.
    • The games you've played with outers, the music you listened to with them.
    • The dreadful nights you needed some one to talk to and they stayed up to talk with you or just keep you distracted.

They don't understand that as children you have a home made for you by your parents, your family. Even after those times are gone the memories remain, the home remains. As an adult moving into a new house they assume all this will happen for you. But for autistic people it often doesn't. So often we don't get homes, just houses, empty rooms filled with our stuff but not other people we care about. Our houses never become homes.

Children
No Data